Date:
Wed, 26 Jul 1995 09:25:00 CDT
There are I believe 3 sections of the HSUS (East, West, Midwest) and the
little local Humane Societies look to the Federation for guidance so if the
HSUS suggest ferrets are not suitable pets and should be killed then the
locals will likely follow their recs.  I work with our local HS but am told
by the committee that they will abide by HSUS recs.  They are willing to
listen and gladly accept all info I can provide.  Bottom line is that most
local humane societies look to the federation for guidance so we need to
present enough info to the HSUS for them to make informed, educated recs on
ferrets.  We must provide hard facts in a polite manner to the HSUS and our
local HS.  If the local Humane Societies start questioning the HSUS
statement on ferrets it will have more of an impact so work on the locals
too and get them to work for us.  I do not support any organization that is
against ferrets, no matter how much good they do for other animals.  There
are several that claim to be for all animals but when questioned about
ferrets I was surprised to find they do not support or help them (HSUS,
WSPA are two that I can think of right now).  There are other agencies that
do and those are the ones I support (Best Friends, Friends Of Animals).
PETA and API both need to be worked on.  API believes ferrets are exotic
(like skunks, wolves, possums which are actually wild) and have concerns of
them escaping into the wild and becoming feral, endangering already
endangered wildlife, etc.  If you are a member of API, WSPA or HSUS please
write to them explaining the domesticity and behavior of ferrets.  WE need
to get away from the exotic/wild classification and put ferrets in the
domestic class where they belong.  Sounds like a good subject for FOCUS.
Hugs.  tle