From:
Angela Lowder <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 19 Feb 2001 03:41:15 EST
Hi - i'm new to FML but was advised to make contact in the hope that i
might get some useful info from some of you.  I'm currently studying animal
behaviour and have an assignment about the ways humans misunderstand
animals ways of communicating e.g.  when a dog growls hes usually warning
hes not happy & hasnt decided hes going to take your head off (as some
people always think).  We can chose any 2 animals as examples and i really
want ferrets to be one of mine but theres very little info out there.  In
any case it isnt whats written that i'm interested in as much as real life
examples.  So the question is what do ferrets do that people misunderstand?
Most communication has some evolutionary basis, even smell is communication
so for example why do hobs have a strong odour when it must act as a
warning to rabbits - wouldnt it be to their advantage not to be issuing
olfactory warnings to their prey.  I presume the answer is that the
advantage it gains in terms of identifying territory or attracting a mate
outweighs the disadvantages of signalling to prey animals.  Anyway i dont
want to rabbit on!

Absolutely any info no matter how apparently obvious will be useful - this
is really about improving the image of ferrets through better understanding
so what may seem obvious to u ferret owners wont be to the uninitiated.

In hopeful anticipation - Angela & the boys (Bear & Cino).