From:
"Bostrom, Michael A" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Feb 1998 07:37:28 -0800
Howdy all,

I agree that one of the better ways to protect your weezils in case they
decide to take an expedition into the Big Room is to have a "return to
sender" tag with all the pertinent info.  I just wanted to share my method
for the attachment of said tag to my weezils in case it will help someone
else with a wayward weezil problem.  I make my collars out of chain.  I
really didn't want to at first, but my ferrets call themselves The Weezils
of Doom and they wouldn't stand for a sissy nylon collar.  They can be quite
persistent, so eventually I relented.  My biggest concern was the collar
getting caught on something during their arial antics and end up having a
ferrets with longer necks then they already have.  So I designed the collars
specifically to combat this.  I used the smallest choke chains for dogs I
could find.  The come in stylish red, blue, chrome, and gold, one color for
each of my weezils.  The first step in the design was to make the collar
just the right size.  It had to be tight enough to stay on during normal
rambunctiousness, yet be able to slip over the head if necessary.  This was
accomplished by simple trial and error (with more errors than trials,
considering the squirm factor).  The second step was to create a
"break-away" design into the collar.  I visited a craft store's jewelry
section and purchased one of those latch thingies that are on most necklaces
and a some of those o-ring thingies that attach the latch thingies to the
necklace in a variety of sizes.  Through another period of trials and errors
(much quicker this time, as no weezils were directly involved), I found a
size of the o-ring thingies that was strong enough to not come apart with
normal weezil wardancing, yet if they got in a bind and the collar didn't
slip over their head as planned, the o-rings would give and thereby free the
weezil.  This gives two safety elements designed into the collar and
minimizes the risk to the ferret.  The worst thing about it is it is more
high maintenance than a normal collar.  I have to monitor the tightness of
the collar through winter weight gain and loss or the first design element
is rendered worthless.  The chain collar does tend to wear the hair off of
their necks also, but not any more than nylon or leather collars I've seen
on other ferrets.  And if it means I have a better chance of regaining a
travel-minded weezil, it's not really high on my list of worries.

Thank you and good day,

Limejello & The Weezils of Doom

"If at first you don't succeed, try again. Then quit. No use being a dam
fool about it."