From:
Troy Lynn Eckart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 11 Aug 1998 14:42:34 -0500
Hmmm.... let's see if this will clarify my statement -

There is no biological survey on feral ferrets on San Juan Island.

Dept of Wildlife, Thomas C Juelson, Nongame Program Manager - in a letter
to Mr William Phillips, dated 4/14/88 "I have questioned numerous persons
on the subject of feral ferrets in Washington.  From that effort, I am
prepared to state that, to the best of my knowledge, there are no ferrets
living in Washington that prey upon native wildlife."

This letter is found in the 1990 Public Information Manual from the
California Domestic Ferret Association.

Now for more current info -
4/11/96, Tom Juelson, Manager, Wildlife Diversity Division, WA Dept F/W -
"About 1985, the rabbit population on the San Juan Islands crashed
dramatically.  Disease was suspected, but to my knowledge, none was
directly implicated in the die off.  Since then the rabbit numbers have not
returned to their former numbers.  There have been no reports of ferrets
coming to my attention....."

Steward B. Reid, Ph.D, Haro Strait Biological Institute -
"I have heard of sightings that may have been ferrets and have myself
smelled mustelids on the island, although they might well be MINK."

Lee Campbell, Retired County Agent -
Hunting ferrets escaped or were left behind.  When rabbit population
diminished so did the ferrets.  No feral ferrets at this time.

Shona, Wolf Hollow Wildlife Rehab Center - where the issue starts -
Ferrets are sporadically turned in from within the town of Friday Harbor.
Young ones brought in are presumed too young to be on their own.  They are
placed in homes.  Sometimes people call about ferrets under their porches.
They go on description - no other verification.  Could be another mustelid.
No colonies sited.  No documentation on the existance of feral ferrets.

One of my contacts mailed a flyer for a lost ferret that he found tacked
on a board in the laundry mat.  Coincidence????

Remember the vet that said ferrets were viscious - she also said there are
feral ferrets in ND and SD and they were killing off the blackfooted
ferrets and she would like to see ferrets outlawed in Washington.  Both
states letters indicate there are no feral ferrets.

San Juan Journal had no info what-so-ever on feral ferrets, past or present.

San Juan Co Sheriffs Dept - no calls or sightings.  The sheriffs dept serves
as the animal control as well.

Ken McCann - NW Center for Environmental Education, NCEE Summer Camp
Did not see any ferrets while living on the island.

Richard Strathmann, Friday Harbor Labs, Associate director
"At one time there were animals locally called ferrets.  I don't know if
this information is correct.  I haven't seen any lately but that does not
mean that they aren't here.  It may be difficult to ascertain just what
was introduced and when because several individuals may have attempted to
bring predators on rabbits in their own attemps at pest control...."

James Quinn, Professor, Div of Environmental Studies -
"When grad student at UW never heard of feral ferrets on San Juan Island.
River otters are certainly on the island, and I would not be surprised by
mink."

WA Cooperative Fish and Wildlife Research Unit
No information.

There were more contacts, biologists, parks, agencies, the only pet store on
the island, etc.  and I also talked with Ed who referred me to others.  One
prized response was - "My understanding of domestic ferrets is that they can
survive on their own just about long enough to starve to death if they don't
get killed by a dog first.  Domestication has really screwed up their sound
location mechanisms so they're pretty useless at catching anything that
moves more erratically than a bowl of kibble, and therefore don't become
feral even under good circumstances."

Oh, and I can't forget the 80 yr old lady that told her neighbor to keep
her cats inside because the ferrets will suck their blood or the rancher
who said his chicken coop has been raided by ferrets....

I spent hours and hours on this issue as my $700.00 phone bills shows.  I
also took several days off work to pursue the research.  I was passed from
agency to agency and person to person.  No one that I spoke with gave hard
evidence that feral ferrets currently exist on the Island.

Oh, in looking back through my files I found that TWO grad students
contacted me - one each of the last two years.  Hmmm.. their conclusions
were the same - no feral ferrets were found on the island....

I hope this clears the issue up a bit for others.  You can form your own
conclusions and if you want to continue the research I'd be happy to assist,
however I'll warn you in advance that it is very difficult to prove a
negative.

Thanks Ed for giving me the opportunity to relay the info.

Hugs to all. tle