From:
Ferretwise <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 20 Sep 2005 00:20:14 -0400
YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

I apologize if you have received this message already-- and THANK YOU
shelter friends, patrons and readers if you have already taken the time
to make your post on the e docket!

If you are not a ferret person please ( this is one of my passions)
please consider helping out this animal which has been unprotected for so
many years.  Every pet needs protection!

Below is a link to a photo of a recent intake at the shelter-- he was
supposed to be 10 weeks old at time of shipment..  he had been shipped
2 weeks before we got him and he was 6.5 weeks and malnourished &
dehydrated when he arrived here-- that made this kid 4.5 weeks at
shipment-- and he was already neutered!  HELP PROTECT OTHER LITTLE ONES
FROM HIS FATE.  We have got him strong enough to walk but his growth
remains delayed!

WHY WE NEED USDA/APHIS FERRET STANDARDS!!!

CLICK HERE PLEASE!!!!

<http://pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/wolfysluv/detail?.dir=/dde9&.dnm=3f8a.jpg>

This is a serious situation -- over the past twenty years ferrets have
become so popular, farms are shipping them at a younger and younger age.
Often before they should even be weaned, before they are socialized and
also before the incisions for their too-early neutering have healed.

The shipping conditions are appalling too, cramming large numbers of
small animals into crates with little room to move, little food or water
and no place for urination & defecation for shipping that could take
anywhere from 10 hours to 2 days..

Would you submit a fast comment -- shouldn't take more than a few
minutes, and you can be anonymous:

YOU CAN MAKE A DIFFERENCE!

The USDA/APHIS has put out a call for comments on ferret-welfare
standards.

1. Go to this link (it leads you to the existing comments for docket
   04-088-1, which are interesting)

<http://docket.epa.gov/edkfed/do/
EDKStaffCollectionDetailView?objectId=0b0007d4809252bb>

(I believe it may be a changing link, if it does not work you can find
the working link at
<http://www.ferretcongress.org/>http://www.ferretcongress.org/

2. Click Submit Comment

3. Ask that the current standards be updated to improve ferret welfare
   as they are raised for sale and shipped.

That one sentence is all that is needed.

PLEASE help with this, it will only take a moment of your time, and you
will be helping to improve the future for ferrets everywhere.

Thank you for your help and considerations!

Sincerely,
Alicia Drakiotes , volunteer  rehab. technician
www.ferretwise.org