Date:
Sat, 8 Sep 2007 05:34:28 -0700
I've really enjoyed the discussion on deaf and hearing impaired
ferrets.

Now I'd like to start one about *hearing enhanced* ferrets.

My Bizzy, age not certain but over 5, is blind. She is very small, and
has extremely tiny eyes, almost seems they are deformed somehow. Her
blindness has developed over time, her eyes no longer react to light.

If you were to watch her run around, you would never think *that ferret
is blind*. What you would notice is how she reacts to sound.

Make any noise and Bizzy will stop, point her nose straight up, and
freeze. I might call it a *pez head* move as her head is tilted back.

She remains in this position until the next sound, such as a voice,
a footstep, hand clap. Then she relaxes, turns her head towards the
sound, and if our voice or something she recognizes, comes to the
sound. If she is unsure, she turns, then points her head straight up
again, and freezes.

At this point I see she is somewhat agitated and will get down to her
level and speak softly. At this point she wants to be held and
reassured.

I recently got a new blender. Do you know how scary a new blender sound
can be to a little blind ferret? So scary we have had several *it's OK
Bizzy, moms just making a fruit smoothie* mornings.

I just wonder how *enhanced* her hearing is?

Ardith