Date:
Tue, 6 Feb 2001 09:39:53 -0800
Sukie Crandall wrote:
>A lot of simple "possible solutions" have been presented many times over
>in the past (including diet changes, which many have tried or are trying);
>what is lacking is any proof that any of them have made any difference,
>except perhaps for MC's ten year old ones with their mice.

I would be hard pressed to say my diet of mice is any 'proof'.  I grew up
on a ranch and one thing I learned from that (Other than mucking out brood
mare stalls..Yuck!) is that 'overall' husbandry is more important than
individual 'presentations'.  So...I try and keep my furkids 'active' and
feed a good balanced diet.  As we all know, they are very inquisitive and I
believe the more active we keep their minds, the greater a chance of living
a healthier, longer, disease free life.  This is not to say I haven't
suffered the throes of disease..my Garret suffered from a right adrenal
affliction and all the accompanying symptoms..bladder infections, blocked
urinary tract, etc.  He had surgery at 7 1/2 and lived with no further
health problems until his death at 10 years, 1 month.

So..putting together what I have learned from the ferret world, (What a
collection of talented people!) and my own beliefs in trying to provide as
'natural' a living condition as possible for my clan, I believe, but have
no proof what-so-ever, that my husbandry has significantly increased the
quality and longevity of life for my kids.

I have read many times here and elsewhere that European and Aussie/NZ
ferrets live much longer than our North American counterparts.  I have
seen years numbered in the 12's and low teens.  I have seen this from
different unrelated sources so I have to believe.

Amy in Perth tells me they have a pet 'mince' that is meat..and that
ferrets there regularly dine on this mince.  I read mention of increased
meat in the diets of Euro ferrets and in England, working ferrets are fed
parts of the rabbits they are used to flush.  Could this fresh meat diet
be a reason for longevity and better health?

I feed my guys mice..live mice...'hunting' a live mouse keeps the ferrets
mind active and 'thinking', a function I believe leads to a longer life,
not to mention the nutritional value of a whole mouse.  Look around
you...our grandparents and great grandparents that have long, rich lives
are usually the ones who have been active all their lives.  (Alzheimer's
not withstanding) Very very unscientific observation on my part is that
inactive seniors are the ones that seems to develop more than their fair
share of dementia...sadly.  This is true of most animals in the animal
kingdom.  Look at our zoos...they are finally realizing that the large,
open, natural enclosures, rather than cages, contribute to the longevity
and health of the animal.

In the end, gentle reader, what we believe, what we can afford, and what
we can tolerate will contribute to the husbandry of our companions.  I
truly believe that until some absolute truth can be presented, each one
of us can do no wrong with our companions.  (Unless we are just downright
cruel) Sukie's methods, or Swamp's, or Lisa's, or Pam's, ad infinitum, are
all the best.  Use what you may, you can't go wrong....

MC, The Rude One
(With Snorkle, Tuzigoot, and Bancho.  In spirit, Bubba, Billy-Bob, and
Garret)