Date:
Wed, 24 Jan 2001 23:39:16 -0800
Somebody wrote:

>I was wondering... I read in the article that it was "normal" for the
>temp to be kept above 32 for the ferrets during travel..... and that it
>got below 32 and that was most of the problem (in their eyes).  Ok so
>my question is... a horrifying one.  Are babys (ferrets) let to be in
>temperatures approaching 32 and they think thats ok???  Because that is
>what I got out of the article.  We all need to know this ya know?

First off..that is not what happened.  All airlines have a temperature
parameter for live animal shipments.  If an airport's temperature exceeds
those parameters, then that airline will put that airport on an exception
list.  In this case, the destination airport was excepted while the fuzzies
were inroute and at one stop, the ferrets were taken off the plane and sent
to another airport, where they got lost by a mishandling of the manifest by
the cargo master.

Secondly, aircraft cargo holds are pressurized and temperature controlled.
I forget the temp but I think it is kept at 60F.  when live animals are
on-board.  This is mandated by the F.A.A.

Thirdly...ferrets are cold weather animals.  Able to survive quite nicely
at temperatures in the teens, as long as they have proper shelter and feed
that will help generate lots of calories.  In Great Britain, many ferrets
live outside all year round and winters there can be quite severe.

The problem with the 35 ferret kits that died was that they were mishandled
and forgotten and the lack of food and water is what killed them, not the
low temperatures.  35 ferrets in one crate generates a ton of heat..believe
me on that one.

BTW, for what it is worth, it is my humble (sic) opinion that the cargo
master (cargo manager, whatever he/she is called) should be held
accountable, criminally.  No one else.

Judy Cooke wrote:
>I'd like to suggest Las Vegas-and I think there are some compelling
>reasons it should be considered.  First, as a Travel Consultant, I can
>say that Las Vegas is one of the most easily accessible cities there is!

I disagree....Reno is as easily accessible and has so much more to offer
than Las Vegas.  Las Vegas has gambling.  Period.  Reno, depending on time
of year, has snow skiing as a sport, and some of the most historically
significant area in the West.  And, the same fares apply to Reno as
they do to Las Vegas.  Our area is one of the reasons that almost all
professional organization plan their conferences in the greater Reno area
(Lake Tahoe/Reno) rather than Las Vegas which only has glitz to offer.
(Don't get me wrong, I like to visit Las Wages occasionally, but, Reno is
the true outdoor destination Nevada area to go to!

<< GRIN  >>

MC, The Rude One
(With Snorkle, Tuzigoot, and Bancho.  In spirit, Bubba, Billy-Bob, and
Garret)