From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 9 Dec 2001 17:15:53 -0500
What type of sugars are they?  Frucose (like fruit -- natural -- sugars),
sucrose (like sugar-cane (table) sugar) -- also natural though processed
by a lot of cooking), other?  If there is a ferret with something like
insulinoma I'd be SURE to take the label to the treating vet and go from
what that expert told me.  For many things sugars are sugars are sugars,
and that's that.  If the ferret doesn't have a problem with the pancreas
such as insulinoma then sugars MIGHT be problem but no one knows for sure
since that is only a hypothesis, or it might be that low level of sugar
will make no problem at all.  Ashling gets Florinef and Pred, daily, too,
and we off-set the bitterness of the Pred with a bit of Nutrical (which
is sweetened).  I guess it's been about 1 and 3/4 years since her surgery
and she can still regularly be found 7 or 8 feet in the air, either on
bookcases, or having climbed shelves and clothing, then shaker pegs to
get from the closet to the top of the bedroom door, when the closet is
accidentally left open a bit...

After maybe two years away Meltdown greeted someone she used to cuddle
several times a week for a number of years like an old friend rather than
like a stranger; then she overtly snubbed him after greeting him (which
she also did for those she knew who deserved the punishment).

Ferrets are good at ignoring people.  We've found that the best ones for
performing tricks have usually NOT been the smartest ones, since they get
too curious about other things so distract too easily.  The best
combination for consistent performance for strangers is a love of praise,
a desire to show-off, and less-than-strong intelligence so that curiosity
is reduced.