From:
Troy Lynn <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 7 Jun 1994 11:50:00 -0400
Chris -
In regards to not selling ferrets in pet stores -
Not all backyard breeders are responsible and caring.  Last year I had
3 rehab cases from the same local breeder.  There is also the APHIS
requirements that must be met, licensing, etc. for those who breed.  On
another note - the ferrets not bought in pet stores are destined for
research - what a horrible life for such a loving creature.  Perhaps we
should work on educating pet store owners and staff along with distribution
of handouts for new ferret owners buying from the stores.  I always feel
sad when I see our little ones in the windows, cages, etc. but I would
feel much worse if I were to see them in the research labs.  Catch 22.  If
we buy them, they breed more - if we don't, they still breed and sell to
research labs.

Does anyone know how many sunflower seeds are too many for a ferret?  I know
they don't digest fiber well but Gizzie loves them.  I crack the shells and
he gets the nut!  Only 4-7 3 times a week (and maybe 1 or 2 the other times.
I really enjoy eating them but when he begs for seeds I feel guilty if I don't
at least give him a couple.  He looks sooo adorable when he eats them too!
Am I giving him too many?  Should I stop eating them so often so he doesn't
tempt me into giving him some?  I think he can count too.  After his 7th seed
he goes on his way!  Its true!  Of course we've been doing this ever since he
discovered how scrumptious they are - about 2 years.

As for the Oregon case -
Yes it is true the baby had severe bites and I understand the causes of death
was loss of blood.  Now tell me where the parents were when this was happening!
Could you sleep through the agonizing screams of your child?  Sounds like
parental neglect to me.  And yes the pictures are horrifying but so are the
dog and cat bite  baby fatalities and there are many, many of them along
with severe bites.
Gotta go!  tle