From:
Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Apr 2011 06:46:36 -0400
MMFR [log in to unmask] wrote:
>We've had to use a tube a few times in ferrets with insulinoma (our
>little girl Lucy had to have it done every few months when she crashed
>hard and did not respond to sugars on the gums, for example). It is a
>last ditch effort. We use red/orange catheters. I believe it was
>properly placed - it went down with no issues, coughing, struggling or
>gagging, the ferret continued breathing without a problem or change
>and went the proper distance to reach the stomach for her size. She
>did not want to swallow any food or meds. We only do it if there is
>no other option. With the amount of food and meds we gave her she
>would have immediately starting having respiratory distress if I had
>misplaced the tube for sure, but I could be wrong. After we did that,
>and gave her fluids again, she perked up, but it was very short lived.

Rest assured that you would know it if the tube was improperly placed.
The only other place it can go is into the lungs and everything would
start coming out through the nose (aspiration). I raise orphaned
opossums so am very familiar with tube feeding. Right now, I am doing
40 tube feedings a day! I have also tube fed adult raptors, adult
opossums, and squirrels when it meant life or death. I tube fed ferrets
twice as a last ditch effort. I was a nervous wreck (it's amazing how a
beloved pet gives you a whole different mindset) but managed to do it
without aspirating.

Tube feeding is definitely something you need to be trained to do, and
requires total concentration. Good work!!

Katharine
Florida