From:
Katharine <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 7 Jan 2011 07:39:35 -0500
Don't assume that ferrets don't chew on things. I have know of at least
two ferrets who chewed into electrical cords with very disasterous
results, and very expensive, costly recoveries. My ferrets chewed on my
TV cable. When I realized it, I replaced it and bought some of those
plastic covers you get at home improvement stores. Even then, I saw
teeth marks on the cover. I have seen ferrets chew relentlessly on
cages, which is one of the primary reasons that pressure treated wooden
cages should not be used. Ferrets don't know the difference between
"fun" chewables and "dangerous" chewables.

It is up to us to make sure the areas they are in are safe for them.
Just because it's never happened before doesn't mean it won't. Ferret
proof as if you have a toddler in the house.

Katharine
Florida