From:
Michelle D <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 20 Nov 2006 17:03:12 -0800
>I have searched and searched, and read the "warnings", yes from vets,
>that salmonella and other parasites are dangerous and can be difficult
>to treat if a ferret contacts it... but not ONCE did I find even one
>case of a person saying their ferret got sick from raw food. It's
>always "warnings" on different things .....I'm just stunned by this
>above statement. If you really care about ferrets, how could anyone
>withhold this info from the rest of us who are interested in
>raw/natural feeding?
>Andrea

I just wanted to say, well said! :>

I've gotten really rude reactions from vets about feeding raw. (And
some that are genuinely open to new information and interested in
learning more.) The funny thing is, (for one example--after I brought
my boy in for unexplained illness) that ceratin vet immediately
admitted he'd only ever seen poisoning in feral *cats* and raccoons .
But he couldn't let go of the "it MUST be the food." mentality.

Incidentally, it wasn't from the food. But that seems to be a common
reaction - dangerously overzealous. Dangerous because some vets are so
blinded by that single statement of natural food that they jump to an
immediate conclusion, overlooking other posible causes. And in humans
or animals, a misdiagnosis can be life-threatening, if not fatal.

It's common knowledge that people aren't frank with their own doctors
when faced with that attitude, so who would want to be frank with their
vet if that had that to look forward to?

I never went back to him again.

MD