From:
"TinyPrintsOnTheHeart.com" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 26 Jan 2005 08:43:50 -0500
You can find information about Petco's envolvement at this link:
http://www.petfinder.com/press.html
They did not start Petfinder, but they are one of the main supporters
of Petfinder.

You can find your local rescues listed at our Petco along with what pets
they have for sale.

If you look in your local Petcos they will have updated lists of the
local rescues and what ferrets they have for adoption.  Petco will always
promote rescue (at least ours does).  Lisa at Petco makes the people who
want to adopt a ferret listen to a 1/2-1 hour speech or they do not get
a ferret.  She goes over everything, including the diseases which effect
a huge majority of our ferrets.  With that, she has talked alot of
potential owners out of ferrets, and into another pet.  So not all Petcos
are alike.  Just like any other store we frequent.  But there are good
ones out there.  Since I worked there, I honestly can say I do not
believe in petstores selling animals, but on the other hand, I understand
big business and why they do.

The best thing we can do, because we can't stop places like Petco or
Petsmart from selling animals, is to educate them.  Give out flyers for
them to hand out.  Make sure their care sheets are correct and make
suggestions to change the things which are not.  Be persistent, but not
negative.  Set up at the stores on a busy day, and hand out fliers and
education.  That is the only way we can get the public caught up with
information.  With the huge growth in popularity that we have seen in
ferret ownership over the years, the correct information about them is
just now getting out, but slowly.

Marguerite

TinyPrints On The Heart.....
TinyPrints Shih Tzu, TinyPrints Ferretry and Rescue
http://www.tinyprintsontheheart.com
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue PetFinder Web Page
http://www.petfinder.org/shelters/PA369.html
TinyPrints Ferret Rescue Store
www.tinyprintsontheheart.com/onlinestore.htm