Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Mon, 28 Oct 1996 17:03:09 -0800
From:
>From:    Brett & Melissa Lapham <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Our ferret is turning yellow! / winter and ferrets
>A while back, we started noticing that Jasper (8mo, male, light sable) was
>developing a yellow streak down his back.

Any chance you feed a food heavy in Chicken fat?  Totally Ferret for
example?  Probably nothing to worry about.

As far as snow and all, most people think ferrets need to be as warm as
human babies.  That doesn't really appear to be true.  Ours that have been
in the snow have mixed reviews.  Some love it.  Some don't.  We always
though warm them up and dry them afterwards.  We limit their snow time but
probably because WE are cold too quickly.

>From:    Stephen Johnston <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Vegetarian Ferrets

It is not a good idea to make any true carnivore a vegetarian.  A ferret
would survive it about as well as a cat.  But survive is not the same as
thrive.

A vegetarian diet can be quite fine for a human as we are not carnivores.
As a notable example Sally Heber, president of the American Ferret
Association is a vegetarian but does not try to turn her ferrets into
vegetarians too.  She has far more experience wit h ferrets than nearly
anybody I know having bred them from before Marshall Farms sold only altered
kits.  Sally's vegetarianism does not affect her ferrets - just those of us
looking for a place to eat after the ferret shows <grin>.

>From:    Pam Grant and STAR* Ferrets <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: this n that
>>From:    Yo land  Morris <[log in to unmask]>
>>Subject: wood
>>I may of not made myself clear.  The ferret is teething on wood.

>FERRETS ARE NOT RODENTS and do not teethe on wood or wood products.
>Sometimes they may use cloth to teethe on ...

Well I guess I have to explain to my dogs and ferrets that only rodents chew
wood. <g>  Really lagomorphs and rodents chew wood more than carnivores like
canines and ferrets but some do chew on wood.  We use parrot toys hanging
from the tops of our cages and some of the ferrets chew on the wood.  To
avoid splinters though we change the toys around to try to prevent that.
Never had a splinter but don't want to find out if they'd happen.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]