From:
B Reburn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 17:39:12 -0500
Hi FMLers,

Recently someone asked about the SC laws regarding the sale of ferrets in
pet stores.  I've checked around and here's what I've learned.  Bill 118
allowing the sale of ferrets in SC was signed into law by the Governor
2/25/00.  Reading the Bill below carefully, it seems to me that young kits
will be not sold, since it appears that all ferrets sold must already be
vaccinated against rabies.  That would certainly rule out the wee ones.
Doesn't mean the stores can't continue to give the kits away, though.

I personally dread the sale of ferrets in our local pet stores, since they
do not take proper care of them or educate buyers in any way.  SC pet
stores have gotten around the law for years.  They sell the cages and give
the ferrets away free.  Just last month a local store began selling a ($50)
cage for $159 and giving away Marshall kits.  I took a stack of brochures
to the store along with 2 sleep sacks and tried my best to educate the
owner and manager in a friendly manner.  The kits were in a large aquarium
on pine shavings with a bowl full of dry kibble and shavings.  They did
have a water bottle and a few toys and seemed healthy.  These folks didn't
even seem to know that the kits would need additional distemper boosters or
a rabies vaccination.  It was vexing, to say the least.  I informed 3 local
Vets about the kits 'give-away' and dropped off some brochures for them to
hand out to clients.

Bill 118 can be found on this Web site for anyone who wants to check later
for the final version.  http://www.lpitr.state.sc.us/bills/118.htm.

Beth

SC Bill 118:
NOTE: THIS COPY IS A TEMPORARY VERSION. THIS IS NOT THE FINAL VERSION.
(R213, S118)
AN ACT TO AMEND SECTION 47-5-50, CODE OF LAWS OF SOUTH CAROLINA, 1976,
RELATING TO THE PROHIBITION ON THE SALE OF WILD CARNIVORES AS PETS, SO AS
TO DELETE THE REFERENCE TO FERRETS, EXEMPT DOMESTICATED FERRETS FROM THE
PROHIBITION, PROVIDE FOR VACCINATION OF FERRETS AGAINST RABIES, AND TO
PROVIDE FOR NOTICES THAT FERRETS HAVE A PROPENSITY TO MAKE UNPROVOKED
ATTACKS THAT CAUSE BODILY INJURY TO A HUMAN BEING.

Be it enacted by the General Assembly of the State of South Carolina:
Prohibition on sale of wild carnivores as pets; sale of domesticated
ferrets permitted

SECTION 1. Section 47-5-50 of the 1976 Code is amended to read:

"Section 47-5-50. (A) No carnivores, which normally are not domesticated,
may be sold as a pet in this State.  The carnivores include animals known
to be reservoirs of rabies such as raccoons, foxes, skunks, and bobcats and
related species including, but not limited to, coyotes, wolves, weasels,
civet cats, spotted skunks, and lynx.  An animal provided for in this
section and kept by an individual must not be allowed to run at large and
then returned to confinement.  A normally wild animal indigenous to this
State, if held captive for a period of time, may be released to the wild.
This section does not apply to domesticated ferrets.  However, no ferret
may be sold in this State without proper and current vaccination against
rabies.  Evidence of rabies vaccination is a certificate signed by a
licensed veterinarian.  A person who purchases or possesses a domesticated
ferret shall maintain proper vaccination treatment for it annually.

(B) Purchasers of a domesticated ferret must be provided with a notice not
less than eight inches by eleven inches which shall bear the following
inscription in letters not less than three-fourths inch high:

'FERRETS HAVE A PROPENSITY TO MAKE UNPROVOKED ATTACKS THAT CAUSE BODILY
INJURY TO A HUMAN BEING.'

(C) Each business establishment in this State, to which has been issued a
retail sales tax license, which offers ferrets for sale must prominently
display a notice not less than eight inches by eleven inches which shall