Date:
Thu, 2 Mar 2000 09:34:25 -0600
A couple of years ago when I was still innocent to the fact that ferrets
were illegal in the state of California, I was going to move to the Napa
Valley with my then 10 ferrets in tow.  A friend of mine I met over the
Internet told me that Ca-Ca Land was not a place to go if I owned ferrets
and then proceeded to inform me of the laws in that horrid state.  I
couldn't believe what I was hearing so I researched the subject even
further and found out the situation was worse then I had previously heard.
I was heartbroken.  My "then" fiance who lived in the Napa Valley told me
that we could smuggle them in to the state and that is was not as bad as
I had heard.  I thought about what he said and almost relented but when I
would look into my innocent little fur-kids eyes I knew I couldn't risk it.
There was no way I was going to jeopardize the lives of these innocent
precious babies of mine so I told my fiance to forget it.

Since then we have broken up and moving to Ca-Ca Land was no longer a
thought.  But I think it is a shame for people who are in similar
situations like I was, whether it be a relationship, a change of job, or
just wanting to move to California.  Ferret owners are banned,
discriminated against simply because they choose to own one of the sweetest
animals on the face of the earth.  Californians can own some of the most
vial of creatures from what I have found out BUT ferrets are considered a
huge no-no.  I have tried to get as involved as I can in some of the
Californians for Ferret Legalization sites but I think that if you are an
"outlander" the government officials in that state really do not bother
with your pleas.  I guess the whole purpose of this letter to the FML is to
hopefully get people out there who really do love ferrets to think twice
before they consider a move to that wretched state.  I have read posts
where people have considered moving there and it makes my heart double skip
to think of what could happen to their ferrets if they did.  I also hope
more people out there take time to involve themselves with California's
plight in some small way.  Maybe if the rest of us ferret lovers send a
message to the legislative bigwigs out there they will start to think again
about this atrocity to the domesticated ferret.  I guess this is long
enough but I wanted to speak my mind on this subject.  To all of you ferret
owners in California I wish you the best in all your endeavors and to those
of you thinking of moving there better think it over real good.  It could
be a death sentence for your ferret.

Diane and my 14 furkids

http://members.xoom.com/devindestny/Fuzzy-greetings.html