From:
"Benita G. Booker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 27 Nov 2001 09:57:51 EST
Hello To All,

If you run across a pet that has a medical problem.  Especially, something
like an infection.  If it is a Marshall Farms Ferret.  Have the store call
MF and see about having them surrender the pet to you.  We all know how
the guarantees work.  Most of the the store personnel, unless they have
ferrets will have or know how to get this information.  You can also go
online to MF and someone will generally get back in contact with you
within 24 hours.  Usually when they close the e-mail back they will
leave a phone number to someone to contact.  Let them know.  Tell them
everything.  What the pet looks like, what the infection site looks like,
if the cage was abnormally dirty, if the personnel was taking care of the
pet, if the pet was in distress.  Ask them to work with you.  Have the
manager involved.  If he is a good manager he will assist you.  Or give
you the employee that can help you.  They have the decision whether to get
the animal treated or surrendering the pet without a warranty.  If you are
knowledgeable they might surrender the pet.  The store gets another ferret
free.  The store only pays a small amount for them.  I surrendered a
ferret that had a underbite to a ferret knowledgeable family.  But, I did
all the leg work not the manager.  She was scared of the animals.  And
to let you know.  Most petstore workers that are defensive are probably
scared of the animals.  They do hire people that are scared of animals.
Go figure.  Most of the time that is why cages don't get cleaned and pets
are not handled.  Not all petstore personnel like animals, they just need
a supplement check.

But, a manager who lets pets stay like that is really not there for the
concern.  I am not working in a petstore anymore.  Matter of fact, I am
filing a complaint with the Georgia Department of Agriculture today.  They
will sell animals that are sick, pregnant, and so forth.  Let MF know.  I
have had success when dealing with them to get the store I worked with
following somethings.  But, when I didn't work on a steady schedule it
goes to crap.

Hopefully, this information can help assist you.  Try to be level headed
when dealing with them.  It can be hard.  Believe me that is why I am not
working with managers I had anymore.

Dooks,
NeeJa and the MOD's (Masters of Disaster)