From:
"Benita G. Booker" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Oct 2001 22:27:43 EDT
Hi All,

I haven't written anything on the post lately.  I am in school full-time
and working part-time.

This week my time with the monkeys "AKA ferrets" has been limited due to
my schedule.  I noticed all started sleeping at the door, which gave me a
sign they want mommie time.  I decided today I would drop everything and
go in for playtime.  I decided to take a glass of tea with ice in it.  As
I sat down in the room each one came to give me some love.  There are nine
of them.  One decided to hang around and see what was in my glass.  I have
loosened up with letting them try certain things for the first time.  I
decided to let this little girl who was very curious to see what was in
the glass.  I tilted towards her figuring she would lick some.  But no,
she decide to investigate the whole inside as to say, "Is this a new
tunnel?".  As she looked at the ice and sniffed I figured okay she curious
at the ice cubes.  But, then she lunged into the glass.  I am thinking
where did she think she go.  Through it.  I thought okay.  This one little
girl is special tonight.  One thing, I can say for sure there is never a
dull moment when trying to figure out what they will do next.  I have the
best goof bugs.  I have been blessed.  I hope there are many more of you
that have the same experiences and love that I have shared among the gang.

For the shelter that is in Jacksonville, FL.  I can still take in the 2
from Utah.  Please e-mail me.  I have misplaced your e-mail for the
hundredth time.  For some easement, there are some people like myself that
work in a petstore in which will give people all the info on ferrets and
some.  Some people make excuses as though it is the petstores fault for
what they are experiencing.  It is the responsibility for the purchaser of
the pet to inquire and research about the pet.  I can inform until I am
blue in the face, even give them a shelter number where they can get more
information.  They will do what they want.  I know for sure there are some
people that work in a petstore that know nothing about these animals they
are selling.  I can tell you some horror and stupid stories.  I have taken
into my home ferrets that were just sold by someone in the store.

Here is a case where a married couple come in and want a ferret just last
week.  They asked me how many did I have and I told them 9.  So, the wife
asked me if I wanted to get rid of one.  I know my expression, "Are you
crazy ?" came across my face but, I was shocked someone would ask me that.
First mistake.  I summed it up that they would not be good parents for a
ferret.  I gave them the low down.  I explained everything.  They just put
new carpet in the room where the ferret will be able to run without a
cage.  I expressed that there will be many accidents on their new carpet.
They expressed to me they wanted to breed ferrets.  I always want to know
why.  He just wanted to.  Second mistake.  I let them know the research
they would need in order to do this.  The cost involved.  I even gave them
the title of some books.  Then I realized something, there was a money
issue.  There is a $10 dollar difference between 2 different types of
ferrets.  So, they did not have the money to get the one they wanted.  So
they would settle for another one.  Then there was a money issue for a
cage.  Note they just told me the ferret would have free roam all the
time.  Third mistake.  Contradictions started to arise.  I decided to
give them the number to the shelter for additional advise.  They could
have made good ferret parents but, nah, I don't think so.  I wasn't
comfortable.  It was just something.  If you have a problem with a $10
difference in something.  How would they be able to keep up with the right
type of food, vet bills, and other accessories?  My suggestion go home and
think about it.  Any more questions call me at work or call the shelter
for advise.  so far they haven't been back.

I hope everyone has many ferret kisses and love that they experience with
there furry friends.  My house has no normalcy so all the animals have
their own unique qualities.

LOL,

Dooks,
NeeJa and the MOD's (Masters of Disaster)