From:
Judith White <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 8 Aug 1999 02:00:42 -0500
I have a ferret, Kermit, who has EG and the treatment (which has been
successful) is somewhat different than suggested by the books that people
have referenced.  He came down with it at the typical age, 12-14 months.

Diagnosis of eosinophilic gastroenteritis can be confirmed by taking a
full-thickness bowel biopsy during an exploratory surgery, along with
biopsies of abdominal lymph nodes.  If E.G. is present, large numbers of
eosinophil infiltrates are seen on microscopic examination of the tissue
samples.  Instead, my vet requested a full blood workup from the lab, and
the excessive eosinophils were found in his blood... no biopsy required.
His results were eosinophils: 36 and mesophils: 5

Our treatment has been nutritional support and corticosteroids.  Because
Kermit had difficulty absorbing nutrients, we gave him high calorie
supplementation with Nutrical and Deliver.  (If the diarrhea is severe,
extra fluids may also be necessary.) We give him Pediapred (which is 1mg
of prednisone per 1ml of liquid) because he likes the taste and it's easy
to administer.  This has controlled the problem.  Use 1mg/lb body weight
once daily.  When the symptoms have disappeared, the dose can be lowered
and sometimes discontinued, but symptoms often recur.  In Kermit's case,
we have never been able to get him down to less than .25mg/day.  When the
symptoms recur, I notice it first in his dark liquidy stools and then I up
the dose again for a while.

Initially, my vet also gave him Ivermectin and Chloramphenical but we
have not used them since and he does not seem to need them.  Ivermectin is
a drug used to combat parasitic infection and Chloramphenical is a broad
spectrum antibiotic, so my vet was taking a two pronged attack -
antiparasitic and antibiotic - because the cause of EG isn't known.

If you want more information, feel free to e-mail me privately.

Blessings
Judith