From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 1997 13:37:15 EDT
Re: Marshall Farms ads
<About ad's from Marshall Farms about their research animals>

Let me start off with saying that I think animal research and testing is
reprehensible.  I don't buy products which I know the manufactuers used
animals in their testing of that or other products.  In fact, I try to buy
only "cruelty-free" items.

If other people did the same and/or pushed for legislation to limit/restrict
animal testing, do you think Marshalls would be in the business of supplying
lab animals?  I highly doubt it.  They are doing it because there is a need
and they can fill that need and make money at it.  If Marshalls didn't do
it, another company would supply the animals.

This doesn't mean I agree with Marshalls' decision to supply research
animals, but it does mean that I understand that they are merely supplying
"goods" to a demand that others have created.  Take Marshalls out of the
equation and soon somebody else will be selling ferrets and/or other animals
to Marshalls old research animal clients.  Net result is that **NOTHING**
has changed!  Reduce or eliminate the need for research animals and a whole
lot of things have changed.

If you wish to unleash your venom on someone, unleash it on the companies
that *create* the need for research animals.  Get these companies to change
their policies with your dollars, your letters, and your support of
legislation that restricts and limits animal research.

Like so many things in life, people seek to treat the symptoms rather then
the disease.

-kim, squirt (The Fuzz King), pippi (A thieving little sprite), atlas
 (Protector of the Realm), and 'Jinx (Little Babycakes)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life, I
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.