From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 22 Aug 1997 09:42:34 EDT
I thought some people might be interested in the reported cases of rabies
for NY State in 1996.  (Our vets included this information in a newsletter
I just received from them.) As expected, there were NO cases of rabies
reported in ferrets.

Bat - 74                Bovine - 9              Coyote - 1
Deer - 1                Goat - 1                Fox - 36
Horse - 2               Rabbit - 1              Cat - 28
Dog - 4                 Raccoon - 688           Skunk - 229
Woodchuck - 10

Total - 1084

The totals for 3 of the local counties:

Monroe - 6 Raccoon, 2 Bat, 1 Skunk, 1 Fox
Ontario - 7 Raccoon, 1 Fox, 3 Skunk
Wayne - 9 Raccoon, 1 Skunk  (Marshall Farms is located in this county, IIRC.)

There was a note on the rabid goat. It seems the rabid goat was at
a county fair and this resulted in nearly 400 people getting rabies
treatment at an estimated cost of $500,000.  I guess goats are *FAR* more
dangerous then ferrets when it comes to rabies.  ;)

-kim, squirt (soul of the wild fuzz), pippi (queen of the wild frontier),
 atlas (I ain't afraid of no bath!), and 'jinx (nippen, blinken, and jinx)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.