From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Aug 2004 15:11:35 -0400
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/readmessage.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=9829&startid=9832

As far as we know the implants are very safe!  In mink, they did toxicity
studies before the implants were FDA approved.  Even at very high doses
they did not have any side effects on bloodwork, or histopathology.  The
only side effect I have seen is lethargy for the first few day.  They
are also have an increased appetite which is helpful if they also have
insulinoma, IBD, or post surgery anorexia.  I have used the implants on
4 of my personnel ferrets!

Hope that helps,
Jerry Murray, DVM

[Sukie notes: Notice that mink melatonin implants existed and were used
for ferrets previous to the new ferret melatonin implants so if you see
difference in the equipment used that is why.  Here is more recent
melatonin and post-adrenal surgery care info to answer any questions
this post creates:
http://www.miamiferret.org/fhc/melatonin.htm
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/viewdiscussion.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=9814

(Note that melatonin does do two of those things and looks like it also
does the third when studied in ferrets in general; the possible is due
to differing levels among individuals.  Others will probably come on
board speaking of what else haas been found in their use and checking.)

http://www.smartgroups.com/message/viewdiscussion.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=9644
http://www.smartgroups.com/message/viewdiscussion.cfm?
gid=1423922&messageid=9799