From:
Cetlic Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 3 Jul 2005 13:42:17 -0400
>From:    Debbie Whorley <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: biter
>
>We have a male ferret that is 14 months old.  He is a biter.  He will
>come up to you and just flat out bite your ankles, feet, legs, arms,
>etc. etc.
>... We have tried scolding, putting him up and taking him to a different
>room with no good results.  It's getting to be too much.

A few suggestions.  Wear pants and shoes until you have him better
trained.

Have you tried scruff and drag?  Scruff the ferret my back of his neck,
try to lay him on his back and drag him.  When done, give him a treat
and tell him what a good boy he is.

We use olive oil.  You can use linotone, ferretone, nutrical, ferretvite
and so on.

From now on when he is good, tell him so.  Even if it is only for 30
seconds.  Give him lots of treats and tell him he's a good boy.  He has
to know what good behavior his.  Give him treats while he is in his cage.

Get a makeup brush.  Carry it in your pocket so it smells like you.
Brush his face with it and tell him he's a good boy.  He should want to
stick his face into the brush.  Lots of treats for good behavior.

I don't bother with the word "NO" much.  He's probably not listening to
you or has heard it so much he tunes you out.  Biting is fun because it
gets a reaction, that is the way ferrets play with each other.

You can email me if you have more questions.

KG