From:
Cetlic Ferret <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Jul 2005 12:04:19 -0400
>From:    Weasle Queen <[log in to unmask]>
>
>KG, Ive been a rescue since July 98 and have had to deal with alot of
>bitters.  First whe he bites DO NOT give him treats!  This is renforcing
>bad behavior.  Insted put him in time out, like you would a child.  Only
>do it in 5-10 minute intervals, but not in his cage, use a kennle.
>After 5-10 min.  let him out again, and only reward him if he is good.
>This is posative rienforcement!  I used it on a ferret named jordan who
>was sceduled to be put to sleep for being a bad bitter.  Jordan was
>less than a yr old and had 4 prievius owner before I saved his life.
>It took no more than 4 wks to stp the biting.  Remember be posative
>and consistant, only reward when he is good.

I've had ferrets since 94 and have been involved with helping others
rescue ferrets since 96.  I got my first serious can't ever be adopted
out biter in 94.  She was free.  She lived to be 11 yrs old.  We had
her 9 years.  I've continue to take in and rehab biters since then.

You don't give a ferret a treat after biting.  You give him a treat for
being good.  At that moment he is being good.

I don't do timeouts for 5 or 10 minutes, I do them for 30 seconds to a
minute.  I actually don't recommend timeouts for biters..  If they are
unhappy or frustrated they may try to bite coming out of the crate.  That
is why I have treats that can be stuffed into the ferret's face and gain
his attention.  You want him focused on the treat, not on trying to bite.
While he is being good, you praise him.  You need to model good behaviror
for the poor little critter.  You don't want to be constantly yelling no
and punishing him.

Kathy Gallagher
Celtic Ferrets