From:
"Bostrom, Michael A" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Feb 1998 07:36:52 -0800
Howdy all,

I want thank everybody who responded about my mom's skinny weezils.  It
seems the general consensus was to try changing food.  That is the method we
are pursuing at the moment.  This raised a couple of questions about the
food they were eating and it's content.  One question concerns fiber.  I've
seen lots of info on protein and fat, but little on fiber.  The food my mom
was feeding her ferrets claimed to be an actual ferret food and had protein
and fat percentages in the proper range, but the fiber content was 5%, as
opposed to TF's 1.5%.  Now, I know that humans take fiber to sorta speed
things up, if you know what I mean.  But with their fast metabolic rate, the
ferrets digestive system already moves along at mach 12 (okay, it's not
really that fast, but doesn't it create some delightful imagery).  So
wouldn't a higher fiber content actually be detrimental to a ferret's diet?

Also, one of the ingredients of the food was dried skim milk.  I know from
past experience that milk is not something you want to give your weezils in
anything but a very small amount (slimey poops, eewwww).  So wouldn't a
daily diet that contained a small amount of milk, over time, also be
detrimental to their diet?

Thanks in advance for any info you can provide,

Limejello & The Weezils of Doom

-"Was that a sonic boom?"
-"No, it was just one of my ferrets using the litter box."