Date:
Thu, 12 Nov 1998 22:51:50 +1300
Julie commented:
>... Ferrets absolutely need to be kept indoors.  Being outdoors makes
>them more prone to contracting disease from wild animals who might be
>investigating their cage.

Ferrets thrive when they're allowed significant time outdoors!  If you had
a rabies epidemic or heartworm or distemper in the area, I'd be worried.
If there are no 'epidemics' in the vicinity, I'd say the ferret will be not
only happier, but healthier being outside.  For example, because of the
caging situation outside, my ferrets are only outside during spring, summer
and most of fall.  During winter, despite this being the time for long,
silky coats... their coats become more brittle, they aren't as energetic,
and their eyes aren't as bright.  I put them outside and after a short
time, their eyes are brighter, and they're more energetic.  After a month
or so outside, their coats once again become silky.  Are these sick,
disease-ridden ferrets?

>They also might freeze to death.  They are pretty small animals who
>can lose body heat very quickly, stop eating and starve to death.

Yes, ferrets are small animals.  However, if there is an area which does
not get any wind or rain they'll be fine.  As long as food is dry and
available, water is available, and there is a place for them to snuggle and
warm themselves, there shouldn't be a problem.  Problems arise when the
weather goes through the cage, not allowing anywhere for them to sleep,
and the food and water are bad.  If ferrets have been outside through the
summer and fall, the winter won't be a problem, as their coats will already
be full and thick, and able to withstand the cold weather to come.  Ferrets
adjust readily, and they handle the more extreme temperatures as long as
they've had a chance to get accustomed to them.

>Outdoor animals tend not to get the proper attention that they deserve.

This is a valid point.  However, the ferrets living outside does not mean
they may not be able to come back to the garage to play.  I agree it's not
pleasant to go out in the wind and rain... however, play doesn't NEED to
be in their cage.  If the cage is under a weather protection of some kind,
then going out in the winter won't be too bad - just cold!!

>So I would suggest that you find a way to get those precious little ones
>into the house.  The alternative is to find someone who can properly house
>them.

The ferrets are outside because the owners father has an allergy.  How bad
the allergy is may require the ferrets to be outside permanently.  Some
allergies affect people so badly they endanger their lives.  If the allergy
is this bad, then bringing the ferrets inside would not be feasible.
However, if it's just a mild irritation, it could be possible to bring the
ferrets back inside as long as their bedding and boxes are changed often,
and they were kept in one room.

How would you feel if you were trying to do the best for your animals and
someone told you that you should give them away to someone who can
'properly house them'.  Someone asks how they can care for their animals
properly and in effect they're told they aren't fit to own them?  I wish
there were more ferret owners out there willing to do some research and ask
some questions.

I've owned ferrets for over eight years now, enough time to learn some of
the basics, one of which is that I will NEVER know enough.  There are
situations that I've seen where I've thought animals would be better off
with new owners, because of stupidity, lack of (ferret) education and
cruelty.  Keeping ferrets outside in good housing isn't cruelty in my
opinion.  I've seen outdoor cages I'd sooner burn than see ferrets in.
I've seen malnourished, never handled, ferrets who were so weak they
couldn't bite until they'd been on a decent diet for over a week.  I've
heard of outdoor cages with dead ferrets in them partially eaten by their
starving companions and riddled with maggots.  THAT is cruelty.  That is
the kind of situation requires people to give up their animals.

I've also seen outdoor caging that the indoor ferrets would kill to get
their paws on.  Some are the ferret equivalent of the Hilton!!  I've seen
ferrets basking in the sun, others curled in some grass in the shade, and
others bounding through tall grass in play.  There's nothing quite like
taking a harness off a ferret, and letting them loose in a large outdoor
pen and watching them bounce, dance and play amongst the grass and digging
in the soil.

No, I don't believe outdoor caging is cruel, or that ferrets will be hurt
by being outside.  I do believe the ferrets will be happy outside, and
they'll be healthier.  As long as the cage is prepared correctly, and the
owner is prepared to take the responsibility of giving them the attention
they deserve while they're outdoors, then I feel they're better off there
than locked in a house, away from the sunlight and wind, unable to feel
the breeze slip over their whiskers and prance through the cool grass.

I feel that no-one can tell another person that how they keep their ferret
is right or wrong.  A 20 ft long cage that's 4 ft wide and 9 ft high would
be cruel if the ferret never got to play with friends, and never got
handled, cleaned out, or fed.  A carrier sized cage may not be cruel if the
ferret is allowed free roam and the cage is used as a bed.  No-one here can
judge anothers' system by their own opinions on what the situation is like.
If anyone wishes to make a judgement, feel free to visit the place, take a
look, and THEN offer a comment.  Until it's seen, please, make suggestions
that can help, not make caring owners feel like a heel for asking for help.

Sam