From:
Sherry Cox <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 23 Sep 2000 12:36:55 -0400
Over the last 3 years, I've seen lots of discussions about Marshall Farms,
Path Valley, and other commercial breeders and the atrocities associated
with them.  And as always, there are a variety of ideas people have about
how to stop them.  People call for the boycotts, some of which happen for
some people, and others talk about how they have to buy the babies to save
them.

I think it's prudent for anyone who knows of how these businesses are run
to boycott buying the ferrets and products.  But let's face it.  The FML
only represents a small percentage of the people who buy ferrets.  As an
individual who works alot of educational events, I talk to many more people
who are ferret owners who don't have contact with what we think of as the
educated ferret community.  These people don't know of any place to get a
ferret but the pet stores they see them at.  Pet stores provide the novice
ferret purchaser, and the impulse buyer.  Do I think this means we should
just give up?  No way.  As Lisette says, don't buy from them, because it's
the right thing to do.  And for Dawn, who states that she will always buy
them, because the babies there deserve a home, I point out this fact.
Every time you buy one, more money to support the efforts of those
businesses is made, and another kit takes it's place.  You really aren't
saving anything, except one animal, and putting another in it's place.  It
seems heartless, but I'd rather sacrifice those in the stores now, than
perpetuating the whole system.  But what we really need to do as a ferret
community is to get out there and EDUCATE the public.  Our club choses
local community events to go to such as festivals and fairs.  We get as
many members as we can to bring one or two of their ferrets, and walk
around.  It's sometimes hard to move 5 feet without being stopped 10 times.
People are curious and want to know.  We have business cards of our local
club, shelter and local breeders.  Even if people aren't interested in
getting a ferret at this time, when a time comes that they may be, they are
aware that our organization and others like us exsist.  We now regularly
get calls for rescues and kits from private breeders that breed in humane
and loving ways.  We also make sure new owners have information they need
to happily integrate ferrets into a new home.  Even people who bought their
first ferrets through pet stores learn there's a better way and help our
cause if possible.  It's a solution that will take time, but it's the best
way I can see to help the plight of those ferrets from commercial breeders
in time.  Most people on this list already are aware of these conditions.
Help us get it out to the general public at large!

That said, here's our latest educational event.  Heart of Ohio Ferret
Association is planning a day at the Renaissance Fair in Waynesville, Ohio,
on October 1st.  We will be taking ferrets that we are sure are good with
the public, current on vaccinations.  If you are anywhere in the area and
interested, contact me, and I'll give you the details.

Sherry and her Merry Mob