From:
"Caryn J. McKinney" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Dec 1997 12:32:09 -0500
Hi everyone:

Thought I'd add my hello to everyone elses.  I'm Caryn and I have two kids
(teenagers, ack!).  We became a ferret family when the kids were bothering
me for another pet.  Their hamster had died a few months before.  Well our
apartment complex didn't allow dogs or cats, but did allow 'caged' pets.  So
I started asking around about ferrets, rabbits and chinchillas.  My interest
quickly focused on ferrets and I started doing research.  On the net mostly,
but in pet stores, and by asking a *lot* of questions of someone I knew who
had ferrets.  My mom helped by getting the kids books about taking care of
ferrets last Christmas.

Last April Sasha and Trixie came home.  In July we adopted Cody.  And within
the next month or so adopted Daisey, Hootie and Noah.  Daisey was supposed
to go to her new mom and dad in Little Rock, but between our schedules, a
couple of weddings, it was was a little while before she left.  And she left
a legacy behind.  She taught Sasha and Trixie quite a bit.

Noah - He's our oldest, of undetermined age, having been rescued by his
previous owner.  A beautiful chocolate.  He's very laid back now and doesn't
play as often as the others, though he's just as energetic as the babies
when he does.  Just yesterday my daughter worried because he didn't want to
get down and play like the rest of the gang when we let them out.  He
snoozed in her lap for about half an hour, but suddenly woke up and took
off.  He just wasn't finished with his nap!  My son loves rubbing his jaws
and belly and making him yawn.  Oh, and Noah seems to be afraid of heights.
He hangs on to you with *all* four legs, paws and claws/toenails.  My son
says he clings to his arm like a bat, and sometimes won't stop trembling
till he's *sure* he's secure and safe.

Hootie - He's somewhere around 3-4 years old.  A shaded silver mitt.  He is
a hoot too.  He seemed older when we got him, a bit laid back.  But began
losing weight.  Had the bloodwork done at the vets and found a protein
deficiency.  After antibiotics and duck soup (which was shared with the
rest) he was much more energetic.  Now, though he doesn't seem to have
gained the weight back, is bouncing and dooking as much as the girls.  My
daughter loves to baby him.

Cody - About 3 years old now, a gorgeous sable.  I adopted him from the
GDFA.  His name then was 'Fella'.  I was told he was a 'mush man' when I
picked him up and he fits it perfectly.  I snuggle him whenever I can.  He's
gained a bit of weight over the past months.  Enough weight that I've had to
cut back on the Nutrical he loves so much.

Trixie - The tiniest sable (siamese?) we have.  She's only 1 lb 8 oz on the
scale, yet the most energetic (and craziest) fuzzie we have.  At almost 10
months old, she's a climber and jumper.  She and my son have bonded.  She
loves riding around on his shoulder, but the minute he's standing still, she
looks to see where she can jump to.  I believe she thinks she's a flying
squirrel.  I've been standing a full 5 feet from my son (who, at 16, is
6'2", or more) and she has launched herself off his shoulder and made it to
mine.  She's fearless.

Sasha - Ankles beware!  Another sable and Trixie's sister.  She's a little
more cautious when it comes to jumping, but that's about all.  Many times
I've felt her pounce my foot and jumped.  She's bonded with my daughter.  I
didn't know what the pouncing looked like until I was on the floor one day
with the rest of the gang.  My daughter was walking by.  Trixie pounced,
trying to land on her foot, but slid off.  Wrapping her little fuzzy arms as
far around my daughters ankle as she could, she threw her head back, mouth
wide open, looking totally wild and (excuse the word) rabid.  Then she
brought her head down and it looked like a *CHOMP* on my daughters ankle.
It wasn't, having felt it myself.  She only puts enough pressure on to let
you feel those teeth.  Then she was off and running.  Her version of *Tag!*
Your it!!

The two girls make sure the boys get enough exercise.  If any of the males
plops for a little relaxation when they're out, they usually get pounced.

Yikes, this got long.  Sorry.  But I have to add my thanks.  I was on the
FML for about 4 months before I got our girls and it answered a *lot* of
questions I had.  Thanks to everyone who has posted.  And thanks to BIG for
maintaining such a huge list.

And most of all, a special thanks and a big hug n kiss to Dave.  Who
answered all my questions patiently.  And who introduced me to Rune and
Trill, totally converting me over to ferrets.