From:
Todd Leuthold <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 00:23:39 -0400
Condolences to those with missing, sick or angeled War Dancing Wild
Weasels...

On Saturday, I had the good fortune to look in the "Pets" section of the
classifieds in my local morning paper and I saw a listing for a free
'FARRET'.  Using the standard FLO translation dictionary, I realized that
a fur-butt was searching for a safe new home.  I called and left a message
on the machine.  A short time later, I got a call back, got directions and
went to get him.

According to this guy that was giving him up, he had rescued him from
someone who had originally purchased him from a local pet shop (long-time
members may remember about a year or so ago, when I knew of a 'platinum'
colored ferret for sale at the same pet shop).  He had all of his papers,
including the Path Valley guarantee and receipt for purchase, etc.  He has
NOT gotten his distemper booster or rabies shot yet.

The man told me that the reason he had taken the ferret from his friend,
was because his friend was "being mean" to him.  After bring the ferret
and his four-level tube cage home with him, he let the ferret out.  He has
kids.  The ferret is big enough to defend himself.  Apparently, his prior
caretaker *was* mean, as he began biting the kids, the man to rescued him,
his wife, wires in the house, table legs, etc.  After three weeks, he
decided he just couldn't subject his family to the pain and puncture wounds
(yep, he bites HARD, draws blood [and some wicked comic book pics! :> ]
and had long, uncut nails that he USES!), so he put an ad in the paper.

To be continued . . .

Todd and the (What...this is a two-parter?) Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!
  ---
[Yes, the second (etc.) part follows - combined into one post.  BIG]

When I went to see the ferret, he had let him out to run around (I'm
assuming that the new ferret is a "he", but I haven't really gotten him to
calm down enough to check).  I gathered him up to hold him and see how he
behaved.  At first, he was OK, but then, without warning, he grabbed my
finger and crunched.  I'm tougher than he thought, so he let go.  I let him
down, but he wanted back up.  I picked him up and he spent several minutes
sniffing me, apparently smelling my other ferrets.  I let him down so I
could talk to the guy that had him.  He didn't agree with being put down
and grabbed the heel of my left hand and ripped quite a bit of skin off.
However, there was little pain.  After getting a tissue to stop the
bleeding, I sat down and got what little history of the fang-face as was
available.  The man didn't want any money for the ferret or cage.  He has
supplies, too, including Totally Ferret!  :) Seems the pet store at least
has enough sense to get there customers to buy the good stuff!

Got the cage and ferret into the van and brought him home.  Put a litter
box in his cage and watched him think it was a 'rice box', as he
immediately went snorkling.  Preferred to use the second and third floors
to do his "business" in.  Removed the panels, cleaned them up (this guy
told me that his original caretaker hadn't cleaned the cage in at least
three weeks) and replaced them, then put newspaper in.  He doesn't seem
to mind the paper, so maybe this will work out.

Found that he also likes Iams! :)  I spent the whole day Saturday trying
to get him used to recognizing my hands as "good" things.  I put Ferretone
on my fingers and let him lick them.  I also gave him his
banana-raisin-flavored treats, pieces of Iams and some Bandits snacks.  He
sort of got the idea, but he still nipped, especially if I put my hands in
his cage.  I bought some bitter apple.

Now, before using this, I tried it on myself.  I did a full squirt in my
mouth.  Though it was unpleasant, it didn't cause foaming or any horrible
reaction on me.  That info is for those who don't know about it, or who
would like that info.  Its bad, but survivable.  I sprayed some on my hands
and let it dry.  I then reached back in his cage.  He immediately went for
me, took a slight nip and backed off.  He did NOT try to nip again for the
rest of the day! :)  After that, he allowed me to reach in the cage, but
sniffed constantly, as though to confirm the existance of the bitter apple.

To Be Continued (yeah, again!) . . .

Todd and the (How long *is* this?) Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!

  [OK, OK, 3rd part follows.  BIG]

I don't know what the new guy (whom I've decided to call "Chewy") did for
a litter box before, but he didn't seem to recognize the one I put in for
him.  I was provided with a corner litter box that had been taken with him.
The guy that had him thought it was a bed, since it was in the top section
and Chewy apparently slept in it.  When I put it in filled with litter, he
flipped it over and dug all of the litter out.  I put his hammock (which I
had to wash twice, as it was full of urine when I got it) up in the top
section, along with the corner litter box.  He dragged the litter box under
the hammock and sleeps in the hammock, which now hangs inside the box! :)

The bottom floor has a square litter box with litter in it.  He digs and
plays in it, while using the two middle floors for his bathroom.  Oh well.
I also put some Iams in with his Totally Ferret.  He ate all of the Iams,
but left the Totally Ferret alone.  He'll eat that when he gets hungry.
The bag they gave me was almost empty, so he's been eating it from the
beginning.  They also feed the ferrets Totally Ferret at the store.

Today, after putting the rest of the ferrets to bed, I let Chewy out.  He
apparently was very curious about the other ferrets, since he spent almost
an hour just sniffing their cages and sniffing everyone's noses through the
wire.  No screaming or hissing from anyone...no sudden flurry of fur from
attempts to fight...nothing...just sniffing.  Hmmm...maybe these guys
should be training those at the peace talks between Palistine and
Isreal...or whatever countries are supposed to be talking! :)

He finally ended up roaming all over the house for quite a while.  Didn't
take any naps...just sniffed everything...twice.  He nipped me once during
this time.  I didn't have bitter apple on, so I applied some to my arms and
hands.  No more nips.  I finally caught him and put him back in his cage
(he did NOT think it was time to return!) and let Taz out for his turn.  He
is currently playing with the newspaper on the third level.  I gave him a
snack and he was happy to have it.  He was also very careful not to bite my
fingers.

I think this might work out.  In just over 24 hours, I've only been bitten
twice, while at the guy's house, I was bitten more than two dozen times!
Every bite at the man's house drew blood.  Good thing I had plenty to
spare! :)   Once he calms down, I will clean the ears, cut his (extremely
long) nails and get an appointment to get his shots up to date.  I think
this might actually be a good addition to the Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns, since
he already has war dancing down pat! :)

Todd and the (So...whoze da new dude?) Fuzzbutt Rodeo Clowns!

---
mailto:[log in to unmask]
http://giftsandcollectibles.sites.cc/
http://www.success.net/microlink/