From:
Patricia Curtis <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Mar 1997 12:30:02 -0800
>From:    "Reed, Melinda" <[log in to unmask]
>Subject: Another One Regarding Unknowledgable Ferret People

Hi Mindy,

Boy, do I know what you mean!!  People who know nothing about ferrets are
the first to say they are mean vicious little blood-suckers!!  The
narrow-mindedness of folks never ceases to amaze me.  Of course, I run a
ferret shelter, so I meet lots of 'stupid humans' who want to "get rid of
that beast" ....usually because the ferret is smarter than they are and they
could never figure out how to keep it out of the trash, or plants, or even
in it's cage.

Your mom's comment reminded me of a recent incident with "Itchy", a rescued
ferret here.  I am an "over-protective mom" so the kids are in their cages
except for their "playtimes", and they are all caged at night.  Itchy came
to the shelter because someone intervened to save his life.  He was on his
way to be euthanized because he was a serious biter, and had been through
six homes and back to the petstore twice, but no one could handle him.  You
see, because he bit, people abused him.  Because they hit him, he bit.  A
vicious cycle with no way out for poor little Itchy.  He hated all humans
because they were mean to him.  So, thank goodness, someone found him, then
tracked me down and brought him to me.  I spent a couple hours on the floor
with him that afternoon "letting him bite me", then, not reacting, only
picking him up and loving on him when he did.  When I did that, he looked at
me like I was from outer-space!  I told him I loved him no matter what and
that he didn't have to be afraid of humans any more, he was going to be safe
and loved and protected here.  Soon he improved a bit, that evening I spent
another hour with him, then the following morning I picked him up and held
him to my face (to show him that I "trusted him") and he bit my lip "gently"
and I only said "ouch" in a low voice, and he let go.  He has NEVER offered
to bite me since!!!  He's been here since last September.  He has turned
into the most trusting (but only of *me*) and devoted and most intelligent
boy.  He worships me now and follows me everywhere always showering me with
kisses.  I think he knows I saved his life, he certainly knows he is safe
with me.

Well, one night he managed to escape his cage while I was asleep (I forgot
to put the special clips on the door, because he could push between the door
and the cage to escape,...told ya he was smart!).  I woke up with Itchy
standing on my chest and licking my face all over!!!  What do you think your
mom would say to that??..... a formerly vicious biter "attacking" me in the
night, to shower me with *love*.  Yeah, it's a good thing we keep them
caged, they might kill us all....sheesh!!!!

Trish
Director, Ferrets First Rescue & Shelter