From:
Laura Holland <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 4 Aug 2005 15:50:45 +0000
Could it be that our ferrets have a secret passion for junk food?  The
toys that three of my ferrets CONSTANTLY battle over are the two rubber
burgers that used to belong to my previous dog, Tyler.  As soon as it's
"out-of-cage" time someone is seen moving the burgers to where they
"belong".

Now if they all thought it belonged in the same place, well, then it
wouldn't be all that interesting.  But Roxy thinks it belongs in the
downstairs hall closet, Duncan thinks it belongs in the upstairs bedroom
closet and Ringo thinks it belongs in the downstairs bedroom closet.
I've even seen Roxy drop the burger infront of the closet, push the door
open with her face, turn around to grab her burger - only to find Ringo
has snatched it away!

On any given night you can see the burgers moved up and down the stairs.
One night I counted and in about a two hour period there were TWELVE
different "relocations".  And that's only the one's we noticed!  To add
to the drama there's often the "Jake hazard" - my 100lb Newfie/Lab
sprawled across the bottom of the steps.  Duncan will just climb right
over him, Ringo will fly down the stairs and leap over him and Roxy will
hesitate - get a good grip on the burger then do this trampoline-like
spring off his back.  Once I saw her lose her grip on the burger.  Though
Jake was paying her NO attention whatsoever she let out a loud HISS and
then snatched it and ran off.

I think I'll throw another toy into the mix to make it even more
challenging for them.  I found a french fries dog toy at the store the
other day.  What's a burger without fries???

Laura and The Seattle Seven at http://www.ferretocious.com