From:
Tootsie Mead <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 13:05:27 -0400
First, I would like to send my condolences to all who have lost a fur
baby.  Our hearts go out to you and we hope knowing how lucky your
ferrets were to have known a loving home, whether it be an individual
home or shelter where they were loved and cared for, is a comfort to you.

What I find really odd is that years ago, my brother in law had a little
Panda female ferret.  He kept her in a homemade large long at least 3
feet -4 feet tall wooden box with a huge dark nesting box, small fan
inside as well as wire on top where it opened for air.  He did not get
his girl whole and had her fixed before she went into heat.  She lived
on Iams cat food as their cat did and had fruit loops cereal daily which
she loved.  I do not think she ever had shots, I do not remember and
cannot ask because my husband is no longer talking to his brother or
family.  Back then ferrets were illegal but he found a vet that would
care for her, etc.  She lived to be 9 years old!  He offered us the box
and we turned it down, now wishing we had taken it because I think he was
doing something right.  I do not know if it was just good genes or the
way he had her "cage".  I know he bathed her a lot, he was a "clean
freak".  I just wish I knew what he did right and I am doing wrong.  Most
of my ferrets only live to be around 6 or 7 if they are lucky.  I only
had one live to 8 or 9 years old and even then do not know his exact age
because I adopted him when he was supposedly 6 years old.  I wonder if
the "cage" he had may have held the secret.

Eleanor, Donald and the 6 pack of ferrets