Date:
Wed, 17 May 2006 19:10:01 -0400
Ok, I've been putting this off because I did sooo much research that I
don't know where to start.  But since someone asked, I'll try to make
this as coherent as possible.

For people who have bedbugs (or fleas--think the same chemical is used),
here in New York they use something called Suspend, which contains a
pyrethroid called deltamethrin.  This is a synthetic version of
pyrethrin, made from chrysanthemums.  The difference is that the
natural version has no residual effect, thus requires direct contact.
Deltamethrin is labeled as safe for spraying on and around beds.

As far as safety goes for ferrets and this chemical: all of my sources
felt it was safe as long as the ferret did not have direct contact
(ingestion, inhalation or skin) with the wet chemical.  Once dry, it
seems to be ok.  My sources: my vet, Dr. Jerry Murray, Black-Footed
Ferret Recovery, Dr. Bruce Williams (mentioned using pyrethrins himself)
and probably some I've forgotten.

The BFF people use a powder called Deltadust, which contains
deltamethrin, in prairie dog burrows, but do not put it on the ferrets or
prairie dogs.  And I read a Ferret Toxicology Study (referred by Sukie,
thanks) which was inconclusive, but not bad.

I also did extensive research concerning application and human safety,
since I was going to be sleeping on a bed sprayed with that stuff:
N.Y.State Dept. of Environmental Conservation, National Pesticide
Information Hotline (Oregon State U.), Pesticide Management Expert
(Cornell), Manufacturer of Suspend (Bayer) and endless websites.

Before the exterminator comes, vacuum thoroughly, as the chemical will
cling to the dust and you know where the ferret's nose is all the time.
I also used a wet Swiffer to catch extra dust.  I also highly recommend
removing the cage, toys and tube.  We don't use a cage anymore, but I
collected all of his sockballs (probably 20), toys, tube, boxed some and
wrapped everything in plastic.  This is especially important if you are
setting off a bomb for fleas.  In one reference, a person's roommate set
off a bomb and didn't do this and the ferrets got sick and (I think)
died.

The exterminator had to take the bed and futon apart, turning it upside
down, spray furniture and baseboards/floor area around bed and couch etc.
It was very humid at the time and I don't have good cross-ventilation.
As I am particularly sensitive to smells and chemicals, plus worried
about Rocky, I left with him and stayed at a friend's house for a couple
of days and I wanted to make sure everything was dry (for Rocky) and
didn't smell (for me).  This obviously isn't practical for everyone, so I
would recommend moving the ferrets and all their belongings to a separate
room that can be closed.  If you can't keep them confined to a room with
a door, keep them in their cages until you are sure everything is dry.
You can see or touch what was sprayed to make sure.  To be on the safe
side, I'd just keep them confined until the next day.

Pesticide used for Roaches: Here they use "Demon." I don't remember the
name of the chemical, but it is stronger, thus more toxic than
deltamethrin.  Demon is not labeled for use on bedding for that reason.
However, spraying for roaches is usually confined to the kitchen and
possibly bathroom, around baseboards, so it is not as widespread.  But
that stuff is nasty.  I was stuck home sick when the exterminator came
for monthly maintenance and didn't know about this chemical, which he
sprayed on a night table by my bed and around the legs of my futon couch
frame.  I kept Rocky in the bathroom all day but I got really sick from
the smell.

DO NOT BELIEVE THE EXTERMINATOR REGARDING DRYING TIME.  I was told the
Demon stuff would dry in an hour.  Six hours later, I could still see
wet spots on the floor.  Since I learned this stuff was so toxic, I
washed it off in areas where Rocky might walk.  It all depends on weather
conditions, ventilation and how much stuff the exterminator applies (and
how good his equipment and work are).  My guy spilled the stuff all over
the place because his sprayer was dripping.  [He was hired by the
management company, not me.]  Check it yourself before letting your
ferrets out.  Remember, they are walking on it with their little noses
to the ground.

I think that's about it.  I am no expert and very few pesticide experts
know the effects on ferrets.  Better to be safe than sorry.  If anyone
has any questions, email me.

Good luck!

Shron