From:
Ronnie DiComo <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 13 Mar 1999 16:50:01 EST
I have one DEW deaf ferret who I have had since he was a baby.  Merlin is
a VERY heavy sleeper and he has always been VERY adventuresome.  He also
beats up anyone he doesn't know (I think he uses his deafness as an
excuse).  He was pretty vocal when young, not so much now.

He is a big goofy guy who is lots of fun to pick up and kiss.  He is always
plotting his escape and climbing up on things to get to the plants.  He
loves his 'brothers' (the 3 ferrets I had when I got him) and I am trying
to get him to be nicer to the others.

Search the back issues of Modern Ferret (at their website) for a good
article on deaf ferrets and also the archives of the fml for info:
<http://listserv.cuny.edu/archives/ferret-search.html>
There are lots of deaf ferrets out there.  Some people have deaf ferrets
and don't know it, it isn't always obvious.

I have recently tried re-integrating my 2 groups of ferrets.  In the past
Little Petunia got picked on by the "big boys" so I kept them separate.  I
rotate the 2 groups a lot (they are free roaming in several rooms) so they
are very used to each other's scents.  Recently they have been getting
along ok so I hope that will continue.  I still have one little one,
Clover, who absolutely does not like other ferrets.  I don't want to stress
anyone out, so she is kept separate but has contact with the cats and
spends a good bit of time in my room.

My 2 incredible escape artists are total opposites: Merlin, the very large,
deaf, DEW; and also Petunia, a teeny tiny MF sable.  Both of them can scale
incredible heights and do quite a bit of teleporting.

I am glad Bob C has been posting some ancient ferret wisdom.  Gotta try
some of them.

I also enjoy hearing from Skeeter.  There's no doubt in my mind that
animals, like people, keep on living after they "die" here.  Who knows
for certain what the other side is like but I bet the ferrets have a lot
of fun!

--Ronnie
Ralphie, Harry, Prince Charming, Merlin, Roxanne, Petunia, Epcot and
Clover's mom in Mass.