From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Feb 1998 13:26:41 EST
>From:    jeffrey meyer <[log in to unmask]>
>Hi all just wanted to ask a general question has anyone ever used shark
>cartilage to add in treating cancers in ferrets.  I was doing some reading
>and read that it is suppose to help in humans.  Wondered if it would in
>ferrets.

Jeff, and others interested in shark cartilage as an alternative therapy,
please be aware that although research so far indicates that sharks do not
get cancers, there is no concrete evidence that shark cartiliage is
medically useful as a treatment in either animals or humans.

That being said, I am well aware of the desperation many human care-givers
feel when their animal companions are suffering from a cancer.  I found
myself in that position many years ago with my Guide Dog, Earl.  He had been
already undergone surgery, and chemotherapy was failing.  I, too, heard
about the possibilities of shark cartilage and ran up an enormous phone bill
calling the various research centers in Canada until I found the appropriate
one and spoke for hours with the researchers before deciding to attempt
supplemental treatment with shark cartilage.  This is not as easy as running
to the health food stores and grabbing a bottle of shark oil or shark
cartilage capsules.  The Canadian researchers believe that the processing
destroys the curative effects of whatever it is in the shark cartilage that
may inhibit cancer growth.  To be potentially effective as a treatment, the
shark cartilage must be given fresh and raw.  You will need to either find a
good blender at a garage sale, or buy an inexpensive one to process the
cartilage.  Do not, repeat DO NOT think you will use that blender for any
other purpose -- the odor of the shark cartilage will premeate the blender
for life and give anything else a fishy taste.  Puree the raw cartilage into
a liquid and give fresh.  For what it is worth, the shark steaks surrounding
the cartilage makes a tasty shish kabob.

Earl continued to receive his shark cartilage juice for the remainder of his
life, although after two years of chemotherapy and alternative therapies,
the vet announced he was in full remision.  Earl died in my arms on 1 May,
1994 at the age of 15 of natural causes.  Please remember, that I never
discontinued traditional treatment and that there are no proven records of
shark cartilage being effective as a treatment for cancer in human or animal
and should never be used to preplace traditional therapies.

Scott and the Mustilid Mob

[Moderator's note: Please keep responses on topic -- i.e. any responses
should have something to do with methods or experiences treating ferrets
or should at least be able to easily apply to ferrets.  BIG]