Date:
Wed, 4 Mar 1998 11:03:08 EST

Vikki wrote:
>I was just wondering, how many of you would be willing to take in
>some MF ferrets?

>>Remember most, if not all, of these ferrets*probably* are not handled by
>>people.  You just might get a very unsociable ferret.  (let me make it
>>claer that I do not know this for sure so no flames please!)

Derek and Amy, this is *not* a flame towards you at all, just an
opportunistic observation.

From time to time someone suggests the idea of taking in the retired
breeding stock and almost immediately, people pop up with various excuses
for why that is not a viable option.  Often times the excuse is cost.  MF
is unwilling to give the retired breeders away for free and many people
feel they should be given to select shelters for free.

Of course, that option opens up several different cans of worms.  The first:
while I don't support the MF practices, I also don't support the demand that
they be forced to give away anything unless *they* choose to do so.  If they
do not choose to give away retired breeding stock, a calm and reasoned
period of negiotation might result in a reasonable price.  Another can of
worms concerns the shelter practices afterwards.  If they did by some
miracle manage to get retired breeders for free, would they then turn around
and adopt the retired breeders to new homes at no charge?

The other excuse concerns your observation.  These breeders are most likely
not properly socialized and do require special care.  But then again, I look
back to past FML issues where someone reports the dire necessity of a mass
rescue from some small breeder where the ferrets are kept in terrible
conditions, not socialized, fear biters, etc.  and there is a flurry of
activity to save these ferrets and meet their special needs.  Why is a mass
rescue from a small breeder any more justified than a rescue of retired MF
breeder stock?

Again, these are just some observations and not flames.  The great MF wars --
they really aren't debates -- are already hot enough.