From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Aug 1999 21:39:38 -0700
Yes, Ben, I did post in anger, and for that I apologize.  There were some
who responded to Dawn's post in a more constructive fashion and I will try
to learn from them.

The thoughts I tried to express (which I did poorly) were, number one,
(and as Dawn herself put it) ferret math is neither cute nor wise unless
you are reasonably sure you can make a lifetime commitment.  I think if
you are a single mother, working and going to school, it would be
reasonable to assume that lack of time, energy and finances could easily
become overwhelming.  In this known situation, it would seem likely that
a lifetime commitment to 7 ferrets is pretty doubtful.

Whether or not shelters choose to euthanize terminal ferrets (or what Dawn
considers terminal) is not the problem.  The problem is that too many
people do not put serious thought into the decision to become a pet owner,
and when foreseeable circumstances in their lives change or the pet is
sick or imperfect, they expect someone else to take on the responsibility
of caring for their pets.  The result of this is overcrowded, overwhelmed
shelters which in turn causes all the problems Dawn spoke of.  Yes, she is
trying to find homes for her ferrets, but where do you think they will go
if she can't -- she made it clear that she is moving where pets are not
allowed.

I understand no one has a crystal ball and that life changes constantly;
I know mine certainly has, and not always for the better.  Maybe a recent
conversation I had with my son will explain the point I'm trying to make.
My son is in his 20's, living on his own in an apartment.  He grew up with
pets of all kinds and he very badly wants a dog of his own right now (and
believe me, there is nothing I would rather do than go to a shelter and
adopt a dog for him).  Instead, I reminded him that the apartment he lives
in now allows pets, and I asked him if he is willing to commit to finding
places to live that allow dogs if circumstances change and he has to move.
I also asked him to look at where he is in his life right now; it's
probable that in the next 12 to 15 years (the potential dog's lifetime), he
will decide to get married.  Is he willing to make sure the person he wants
to marry will be willing to accept this dog in their lives.  It's also
probable that if he gets married, he'll have children in the next 12 to 15
years.  Shouldn't he consider the temperament of the dog he chooses now and
make an effort to socialize this dog with children from the beginning.  Is
he in a financial position to afford vet care if his dog gets sick?  Those
are the kinds of thoughts and questions I feel everyone should consider
before they bring a totally dependent little creature home.  These are
foreseeable and logical events, not unforeseen circumstances, that will
definitely affect a person's commitment to a pet whether it be a dog, cat,
ferret or hamster.  They aren't just possessions, they deserve some serious
thought and planning.

Personally, my dream is to be like Bob Church with 17 ferrets running
around, making them chicken gravy and still having the time, energy, and
finances to meet all of my responsibilities.  Fortunately for 15 ferrets,
I realize this is not possible for me, so I only have two, two that will
be with me until it's time for the Rainbow Bridge.

Posted anonymously to protect the innocent in CA
[BE]