From:
Randy Horton <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 24 Mar 2000 12:50:56 -0700
Hi Ya'll, a short note to all who have had bad experiences with vets and
your fuzzies.  Vet school does not teach ferretry.  Therefore, the rumor
I've heard that 95% of the vets in this country don't know about our
fuzzies.  They are uniquely different from cats and dogs and other small
animals and unless a vet works with a rescue or shelter, I feel there is
no real good avenue for education and learning their skills for ferrets.

If you are unsure of the vet you are using, check with your local ferret
rscue and / or shelter and ask them for a reccommendation of who to see.
I advise all my clients of the vets we use here at our shelter in our
brochures, web site and verbally with each adoption and introduce them
totheir vet by providing a free checkup with their adoption and advise them
that if they were to use a vet other than our reccommendation, they are
possibly jeopardizing the life of their ferret.  Some have accused me of
being unfair to the vets that are experienced and don't get reccommended by
us..  my response is they know who we are and where we are, come see me and
go through myscreening process, meet our criteria and we'll be happy to
promote them as well as the others we use.  I would rather that than see
one more ferret die just to satisfy the ego of a vet that doesn't know.

Hugs to all!
ferretguy