From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 19 Oct 2000 12:59:24 -0400
As you know, I asked about things that can cause rib cage malformations.
Leigh found a study on cats in which broad rather than deep rig cages
resulted from too much taurine in diets.  It's not known what may have
caused the reported rib malformations in the ferrets under discussion,
but this has to be considered as a possibility and more info gathered,
if more can be found by anyone.

For those who don't know, the rib cage serves many functions.  It provides
a base for muscles that affect breathing, it provides a shield over
important organs such as the heart, lungs, part of liver, etc.  The shape
needs to be suited to the typical mode of transport, other factors of
lifestyle, lung expansion shape, etc., and it needs to provide the right
amount of room in the right shape for the organs it protects -- not too
much and not too little and not too warped, plus preferably free of things
like nodules (which can be caused in humans by multiple problems including
tuberculosis at an early age).  You have already noticed that we bipedal
humans have a broad ribcage (larger side to side).  Unlike us but like the
other primates and four footed animals in general, ferrets typically have a
deep ribcage -- wider front to back along the saggital plane.  This seems
to be optimally functional for four footed animals, or at least functional
enough that it is prevalent which tends to be a pretty good sign.
Alterations to that shape, therefore, might also have health consequences;
in addition whatever caused such alterations might have health
consequences.  Assessing how bad the problem is, what it's characteristics
are, and finding the cause of an alteration in the thoracic cradle -- to
allow moving responsibly from there -- is therefore in the best interests
of the ferrets involved.

It is my hope that this discussion will lead to all breeders thinking
carefully about the important aspects of breeding.  It goes well beyond
the Coles or those from whom they have purchased in that regard.  The
discussion among so many here has already been about: living conditions,
vet care, diet, careful records and lack of breeding of genetic alterations
that carry handicaps or reduced health, personality, and multiple other
exceedingly important factors that every breeder needs to take into account
in order to help ferrets rather than hurting them.  It could be one of the
more useful discussions here in recent months, along with the ADV funding
one, and health posts for helping ferrets in the long run, and that is
wonderful!

I think that with information such as that which has been presented here
being taken into account that breeders in general could improve and
certainly those relatively new to breeding might avoid pitfalls beforehand
which is a LOT easier than making corrections.

What I have seen here during this discussion (and in some others) in
relation to multiple large farms, new or old, is not "defense" or "bashing"
but an attempt to attain some BALANCE, with good, average, and bad
acknowledged for any, as well as known improvements needed mentioned for
any.  That is a fair and good thing to do; it's the most productive, the
most logical, the most effective for helping ferrets, and the most moral,
at least from my viewpoint.  Others may and very likely will differ.

And -- a disclaimer -- as most already know Steve and I don't breed and
never have bred (We adopt hard-luck cases usually now, but have bought from
multiple breeders in the past.), nor are we affiliated with any place that
makes any types of income from ferrets or ferret products, nor do we make
any type of income from such places or from ferrets.  We are just long-time
ferret people (around 18 years) and long-time FML members who have seen a
lot of things through the years.

I'm glad that Dee brought up angoras.  Have seen NOTHING on them in
relation to health, to life-spans, personality, and so on, though that
information IS important info.  Does it exist?  Has anyone tried to get it,
yet, before they also wind up too widely bred as it appears that WS ferrets
likely prematurely were.  Anyone have data or comments, or both on this
variant?  Data first, wide breeding later IF safe!

>>Let's remember that the further from the gene pool, you often see
>>problems

>Sorry - I don't understand.  Are you saying that diversity is when you see

Apparently either some sort of typo, or rushed wording, or unfamiliarity
with genetics or with breeding on the part of the original poster.  (Any
would work.).  I think perhaps what was meant was that multiple poorly
selected alterations might move a creature into a realm which is
anatomically or physiologically so different from the original animals
that those choice of human-imposed selection (breeding) might themselves
cause handicaps and other problems due to eliminating too much of what
works well.  That may not be what was meant but it was how I read and
makes sense that way.

The absolutely most beautiful ferret while being held that I have ever seen
was Ruffle.  She took people's breath away.  They'd see her and even vets
and show people would exclaim, "That's the most gorgeous ferret I have ever
seen!" before they even registered what they were saying.  Her face was
infantile and looked like a malamute puppy.  Her fur was denser than any I
have encountered -- perhaps more than twice as dense as the next best.  It
was also a few inches long and baby fine.  Beautiful, beautiful ferret in
face and fur.  Then we'd put her down and people would see that her legs
were short, her trunk broad, her posture and walk wrong.  When they got
to interact with her they noticed that she was almost as dense as a post
intellectually.  We were asked to bring her with us to shows so that people
could see some of her handicaps, but never did.  It would have been too
stressful for her and that is what mattered.  In fact, we've never taken
any ferrets to shows; thought about it before ECE appeared on the scene
then changed our minds and never changed back.  Ruffle had multiple
handicaps, she had multiple soft tissue deformities, she had multiple boney
tissue deformities, she had arthritis from an early age, she died too young
from her medical problems.  She was bred in a quest for a fancy.  Beauty
does not equate to health.  Yes, we have fancies here, too, and and we love
them, but we are more careful with their vet care, and with other fancies
besides Ruffle we have seen that we should be more careful.  It just makes
sense till more is known.