From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 19 Nov 2000 00:13:38 -0500
Religion is a touchy topic.

I think that what felt like too much to the poster who complained was not
the Rev's mentions of his own personal beliefs, because as a stated atheist
that person would know what it is like to be derided for personal beliefs.
I think that the individual felt that there was a bit of proselytizing and
that and the implied criticism involved in such proselytizing caused the
difficulty.  I can't recall the original post, but I do personally hate,
hate, hate proselytizing so I either skimmed it and missed that part, or
read his post differently and was not bothered.  Basically, as I read the
criticism it consisted of a statement that all are free to have their our
beliefs, as should be, but all should also recognize equal rights in others
when their opinions differ.  That's all, and it makes sense and is only
fair.

Seems like there are two possible solutions: either no religious mention
takes place at all on the list, or no one tries to alter another's personal
religious bent.  I prefer the latter; it's intriguing to learn other's
stances but insulting to have my own decried.

Anonymous wrote and then Renee wrote:
>>Its one thing to state your beliefs but its another entirely to belittle
>>or think you have a right to change someone else's on this list.
>>Please... can "we" tone it down a little?

>Here, here!  Let's keep the "in your face" religion off the list, please!

I have to agree with them.  Whatever anyone else believes or doesn't in
terms of religion is fine by me since that is their right in their own
lives (and I love that line from Ecclesiastes even though I am not
Judeo-Christain), but the boundary is crossed once my own beliefs are
demeaned.  That constitutes bigotry against me or against anyone else who
disagrees with the poster, pure and simple.  Trying to change another's
beliefs is the most demeaning of actions.  I do realize that this concept
is hard to "get" for someone who is used to mostly being around members
of one's own religion, but it's a good lesson to learn and it is an
opportunity as a life lesson.