From:
Elizabeth Breed <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 14 May 1996 09:04:00 CDT
Does anyone know about or have experience dealing with an adult spayed
female ferret with a protruding vulva?  I have a very special 2-year old I
am rather anxious about.  She doesn't seem to be ill, except for that.
Thinking that she might not have been completely spayed, my vet gave her an
injection to try to get the swelling down, but it has been one week since,
and there has been no change.  This has been going on for about a month.

There is an article in a 1993 issue of the Journal of the Veterinary Medical
Association about 5 adult spayed ferrrets exhibiting vulvar swelling, all of
which had "adrenocortical tumors." I have had in the past a male ferret with
adrenal disease, and exhibited the classic symptoms: hair loss, shivering,
lethargy, etc., but this little female buddy doesn't.

Anyone have any ideas?  (Yes, I am returning to the vet for a further
consult.)

  Sincerely,
  Liz