From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 1994 17:19:35 EST
<Could this just be a bad ferret?  I am sure the owner has cared for him well,
I know it hasn't been abused.  What should I try? If he breaks the skin that
badly, I don't want to try to stick my finger far in his mouth.><I am guessing
he is 3-4 months old>

Here is my 2 cents (much of it learned on FML and successfully applied to
Norman, a "reformed biter"):

No, he is not a bad ferret! My guess is there are several things going on:
First, young ferrets bite when they play with each other. They have fur and you
do not. He needs to learn that you are not a ferret and do not want to be
bitten.
Second, he probably needs to come out and run around a lot more and burn off
steam. If he's caged all the time, all that energy and boredom has to go
somewhere. Keeping him constantly caged will make it worse.
Third, he may be stressed out.

Talk gently to him, tell him what a good ferret he is; visualize being able to
hold him. More than anything he needs a kind person to spend time with him and
socialize him, and he also needs a lot of exercise and playtime. Play with him,
but not with your hands. Use toys or a towel for tug of war. Let him know that
being handled can be fun (give him treats and lots of praise when he's good).

Truthfully, if someone kept me locked up all the time and flicked me on the
nose, I might bite them as well. Here are some alternatives if he bites:
blowing on his face, saying "no!" firmly; hissing loudly right at him (I really
like that suggestion whoever originally posted it; I use it on Norman; it's
ferret-speak for cut it out!); if he clamps onto you, do not pull away;
instead, lightly put your finger over his nostrils and he will have to let go
in order to breathe. Handle him a lot and don't let him down if he bites. This
only gives him the message that biting you means you will put him down.

Most important, believe that he is a good ferret and that is what he will be.

Best wishes to both of you and please keep us posted!

--Cinderella & Norman's mom in Massachusetts