From:
Dee Gage <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 4 Aug 2002 14:09:51 EDT
As a result of my being a rescue with the West Michigan Ferret
Connection, I was invited to participate in the PET RESCUE CONVENTION
scheduled Saturday, August 24, 2002.  It will be held in and around the
large Conklin Pavillion located in the Ft Wayne, Indiana, Shoaff Park.
I'm in Grand Rapids, Michigan, so I'm not all that familiar with the Ft.
Wayne area; but from what I saw on a Ft. Wayne map, that's the northeast
part of Ft. Wayne.

This event is open to the public and ferrets will be represented thanks
to members of the Midwest Ferret Fellowship allowing us the opportunity
to fulfill our purpose to educate and promote awareness of domesticated
ferrets as companion pets.

I was told there are no ferret rescues in the Ft. Wayne area.  She was
absolutely thrilled when I agreed to attend as part of the West Michigan
Ferret Connection and flipped when I mentioned the MFF.  They are
sooooooo ready for us to be there.  Just from my experience from past
events, I know MFF members and their ferrets will be the highlight of the
event -- it never fails.  I am extending an invitation to anyone in the
area to stop by and visit .... spend the day with us.

There is an itinerary of the day below.  They have scheduled ferret games
in the morning and in the afternoon.  The tentative plan is to have a
Tube Race so if/when you come, bring your clear tube so your ferret can
participate.  Discussion is still ongoing for other games; but we could
consider the Bag Escape, Sock It To 'Em, Little Beggars and a Leash Race.

There will be a Rescue/Shelter Parade and if you want to participate in
that, I need to have a little blurb about you and your ferret so I can
read it when you pass by the review stand.

There will be a Best Dressed Pet Contest you and your ferret(s) can
enter.

There will be a photo contest you and your ferret(s) can enter.

There will also be seminars on child/pet safety, heat safety,
microchipping, adopting from shelters/rescues, behavioral problems, etc.
that will include ferrets.

Ron and Trudy Lehman have a gazebo, playpen(s) and even a wading pool for
the ferrets, if needed.  They have tables for our educational material
and sale items.  You will be responsible for your own chairs.

ITINERARY FOR THE PET RESCUE CONVENTION
7:45 Meeting of setup committee
8:15 Meeting of Rescues
9:30 Flyball Demo
10:00 Agility Demo
10:00 Training Session
10:00 Pepsi Trailer Arrives
10:30 Working Dog Demo
10:45 Ferret Games
10:30 - 5:00 Free Nail Clipping
10:30 Behavioral problems Q&A
11:00 Intro About Adopted Pets
11:15 Adopted Pet Recognition Parade
11:45 Obedience contest small pets
11:45 Obedience contest large pets
12:15 Best Trick Contest Small Pets
12:15 Best Trick Contest Large Pets
1:00 Child/Dog Safety/Anti Bite Campaign/Why Microchip
1:45 Trick Training
2:00-3:00 Microchipping
2:15 Ferret Games
2:45 Intro about Adoptable Shelter/Rescue Pets
2:55 Five minute Ferret Talk Start parade with ferrets
3:00 Adoptable Shelter/Rescue Parade
3:45 More Contests
4:00 Training Session
4:00 Best dressed pet contest
4:30 Photo contest winner announcement
5:00 Cleanup and meeting of rescues

Dee Gage
Owner/Operator, West Michigan Ferret Connection
Acting President, Midwest Ferret Fellowship