From:
Scott Lehman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Mar 1999 18:36:15 -0500
Hi All,

Drexel came to our little shelter two years ago in August.  He was left on
Mom and Dad's doorstep after daughter finished her college education and
entered the workforce and realized that she wasn't in a position to care
for him any more.  Mom and Dad had no idea as to how to care for a ferret,
so they contacted me and asked would I be willing to take him.  I agreed
and met Dad about an hour later.

Upon first seeing Drexel, I could tell that he had been cared for.  He was
scared but not unusually so.  I took him out of his cage and held him and
talked to him and tried to convey to him that he was safe.  I was given a
box of the food that he was accustomed to eating.  He and I headed to his
new home.

I had no idea that the next 30 days could be so frustrating, but they were.
Drexel refused to eat the food that was provided by Dad.  I tried Totally
Ferret, he walked away, I tried I'ams Kitten, he walked away, I tried Pro
Plan Kitten , he walked away!  Then, I went and purchased every brand of
ferret food that could be purchased in this area, he walked away.  I went
to the local pet store and bought 18oz boxes of different varieties of
kitten food and cat food, you guessed it, he walked away.  My cupboard
began to look a lot like a store counter.  I had to syringe feed the little
rascal during this time interval in order for him to remain healthy.  The
vet said that there was no medical reason for him to not be eating.
Finally, I decided to go the pet store and purchase another box of the
same type of food that he was supposed to have been eating.  I sat down in
the middle of the floor with a handful of the food and held it out to him.
He walked up, smelled it and then backed off, then walked up again and took
a piece, then another piece, then another.  He kept coming back until all
was gone from my hand.  I asked Scott to go and bring the box to me so that
I could continue to feed him out of hand which he did.  I felt that now he
would begin eating again without being syringe fed and he did.

One of the next obstacles that we had to overcome was his fear of other
ferrets.  Drexel did not know how to be a ferret.  He did not "war dance"
or "chuckle" or steal things.  Whenever he saw another of the ferrets, he
would run into the closet and hide.  I kept putting him out with my more
"sedate" group and after a while, he stopped heading for the closet.  One
of the clear dryer tubes was brought in and Drex discovered the fun of
tubing.  He would run through the tube, all the while wagging his tail.
Then he would turn around and come back the opposite way-upside
down-sliding his back along the bottom of the tube.  One of the greatest
joys that we beheld was on the day that he did a little war dance.  He
discovered that he could chuckle and chatter.  He found out that "ferret
tag" was a lot of fun.  He often could be found snuggled up with Harley
asleep.

Drexel was never a "kissy" ferret.  In fact, I can only recall that he gave
ferret kisses twice.  But how precious those two kisses were.  I had had
the priviledge and honor of watching this quiet, well mannered little angel
learn how to be a ferret.

Drexel crossed the bridge today following a year long battle with
lymphosarcoma.  Though I am saddened by his passing, I have to also feel
honored that he chose to spend more time with us than what he was alloted
by the vet.  The vet stated to us in August that Drex's life expectancy at
that point was 4 to 8 weeks.  Dexel went quietly to sleep.

Little sweetie, we will miss you.

Margaret, Scott and Drexel's brothers and sisters
Exclusively Ferrets