Date:
Fri, 23 Apr 1999 22:15:31 EDT
First I want to thank all who responded to my post about Jasmine.  She does
seem to be getting better gradually, is walking normally now, even running
occasionally and in general seems much perkier.  Not her usual self, but
definitely 100% better than she was on Wednesday.  I took her in to Dr.
Welborn yesterday (Thurs.) for follow up.  He was amazed at how much better
she was and didn't expect that she would have responded and improved that
quickly.  He seems to be as stumped as we are as to what was/is actually
wrong with her.

At this point, she still is not eating on her own at all.  She definitely
seems to want to, she sniffs at her food, pushes it around in the bowl to
the point that she appears to be looking for that special piece, but then
usually turns away.  I have noticed her pick up a piece and mouth it a bit,
but she doesn't actually eat it, only ends up dropping it.  She also isn't
drinking on her own.  Again, she'll sniff at the water bottle like she's
going to drink, will lick at it lightly, but then give up before she
actually gets any water.  So, I'm continuing to force feed her Bandit's
"mush" watered down with nutrical added several times a day by syringe.  In
watching her behavior with food now though, it may have been a longer time
than I thought since she ate well.  I would see her with her face in the
food dish and figured she was eating -- she might have been doing this just
licking/mouthing pieces for a while without my knowing.  It could have been
up to a week -- I honestly don't remember when the last time I actually
heard crunching while she was at the dish -- it never occurred to me that
she wasn't eating.  The thought that she was possibly starving to death
without my knowing is frightening, to say the least.

I still have the problem of WHY she won't eat.  Dr. Welborn examined her
mouth for sores, dental problems, nerve problems and could find nothing.
We haven't changed food brands.  I thought we had started a new bag of
Eukanuba recently, but its still unopened.  Even so, its mixed with TF and
she would pick the pieces out (she has before when we've mixed it with
something different).  She also does the kind of weird "gum chewing"
action, which she did alot of when her stroke-like episode happened.  Its
decreased a bit over time, but she still does it alot.  She appears to be
in no pain at all, doesn't seem sick, just sleeps ALOT.  Its like, if I
didn't wake her up for her feedings, she would just never wake up at all.

My HOPE is that the problems are somehow related to the lysodren and that
discontinuing it will help her to get back to normal.  If you guys have any
ideas or suggestions at all, I could sure use them!

Thanks again for your help, Lucie

                        @-"-@
                    o00 -\o/- 00o