From:
Craig Lovell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 27 Aug 1995 00:14:03 -0700
I figured I might as well relate my technique for clipping my four ferrets
nails.

First, I use one of those short, straight-edge, pocket clippers.  The kids
never did like the clippers for dogs and cats; I think they were afraid
because the clippers are so big.  I normally clip their nails after
they've been playing for awhile.  I sit on the floor, cross-legged, and
wait for one of them to wander by.

I pick one up, and hold him/her so he's standing on his hind feet, on my
left thigh.  I hold his front legs in my left hand, close to my body.  I
let him/her sniff the clippers first, so they know what's coming next.
The forelegs are easiest to clip.  Once I'm done with the forelegs, I lay
him on his back, along my left forearm, and cradle his rear end/hind legs
in my left hand.  This position is only a little more difficult than the
forelegs.  Once all four paws have been clipped, the victim :) gets some
Linatone for a treat.  Usually, once one of them has had their nails
clipped, the rest are standing around, waiting for their Linatone treat.
Also, the entire time I'm clipping nails, I talk to them, reassure them,
and kiss them on the head.

A long time ago, it used to be quite a struggle to clip nails, especially
Sam's.  I'd usually end up with scratches on my left arm, left side, and
my left leg.  I think the new method is MUCH less stressful/traumatic (for
both of us).

Hope this helps!

Craig
and Sam, Honey, Toni, and Fuzz

 (maybe next post I'll brag about the 'kids' :) )