From:
Shirley Hewett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 16 Jan 2002 16:37:34 +1100
Michelle,
I have had excellent results by putting talcum powder around the perimeter
of the room, and on the floor where the food bowls are.  No ants after 24
hours but I really don't understand how it works.  It has been suggested
that the talc is fine enough to block their spiracles (breathing pores
along the sides of their abdomens) but my son thinks that it makes the
floor slippery so that they fall and break their legs!

Kim, Loved your story.

Two years ago I thought it would be lovely for my young nephews if 5 of
my ferrets joined us in a big family picnic in a park on Mother's Day.
I spent most of the day surrounded by people asking about ferrets and
cuddling them.  My nephews were rapt and because they heard me answer the
same questions many times, were able to do likewise by the end of the day.
My aged mother, with whom I barely had time to speak all day, was not
entirely thrilled.  I don't know how my brothers and sisters-in-law felt
because I don't know what rolling the eyes towards the sky means.  I have
a new rule.  Ferrets are OK to take to private family gatherings but not
to public ones. :D

Shirley