From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Jul 2000 13:39:35 -0400
S. wrote:
>I am sure the human members of the FML who are impaired (and I really
>don't like that word, either) in some manner do not consider themselves
>defective >or broken or even "not normal."

Don't be so sure.  Steve and I both have crummy eyes that are getting
worse, and I have some neuromuscular damage that makes some things
difficult or impossible; we are used to them and we do know that they are
at times an impairment.  Hey, there's room for all variations... It is
possible to think of one's self as having defective PARTS; which is a far
cry from being defective as an individual.  Steve and I have some defective
parts, some of which are progressively so.  That lets us use our brains
(Defective status on brains' score is even more a matter of personal
perception so if you want to insult our's do so privately and only to
yourselves.) inventively to find solutions -- a reasonable and at times
very interesting thing to do.  In fact, sometimes it works out better
than before.  Sometimes the problem itself has some fun features, as
well as it's bad ones; there are neat visual variations to explore, for
instance.  An individual remains more than a sum of the parts.  Oh, and
"normal" means only "average" to a number of us and we like to think of
ourselves as quirkier than that so absolutely hate the term "normal" just
as we do the term "boring".  Like I said, variations... Room for all here.

*****What I want to know is WHY a discussion which was about breeders being
careful to breed for the best health of the animal, and was in relation to
specific known genetic variations which can make an animal's life harder
(some having variable expression across generations) DEVOLVED into what
it has?  This began as a discussion of finding ways to help ferrets.
Also, why the heck does this so often happen with so many topics with
which people could work toward making a positive change for the ferrets'
well-being?  Liked the posts in which people got constructive and discussed
ways to train the more rambunctious of the ferrets who also happen to be
deaf (given that both subsets can and sometimes do overlap), as well as the
ones which went into ways to find a lost deaf one who can't hear calls, and
other constructive tips which help ferrets.  Some here need to recall that
deafness does not necessarily also mean docility is present and that daring
is not, also that the FML members represent those people with a high-level
of awareness and concern whereas the typical purchaser of a ferret may be
less equipped in knowledge and patience for dealing with deafness.  Also,
thank you to those who pointed out that we are NOT discussing the wide
range of reasons for people to become deaf, but are discussing one specific
known genetic cause with variable expression which is present in ferrets
and which has affected an increasing number of ferrets due to people
breeding for the fancy fur patterns which go along with it rather than
breeding for functional hearing.  The discussion was whether these fancy
looks were more important than hearing is.  Let's get constructive again,
PLEASE!  I think that the semantic aspects are pretty well resolved here if
one looks at the PARTS having defects or impairments or ..., whereas the
INDIVIDUAL is certainly intelligent enough to remain more than a series of
parts so the individual is not defective.  Please, let's get past this
terminology thing now that it's discussed so fully --be careful -- and the
other bog-downs, and be constructive for the ferrets again, please, please,
please!*****

Carla, I am interested in your comments that the ferrets with Waardenburg
Syndrome who have shared your life died younger than the others have.  We
also ran into that life span reduction, though not as dramatically as you
did.  I recall a brief discussion in which a geneticist alluded (sadly
without giving specifics) to the possibility of there being much worse
things beyond deafness on rare occasion seen with the syndrome but that
these were on the far end of the scale for expression.  (Then again, he was
talking about humans which don't have Waardenburg as often as ferrets do.)
For those who don't know, Waardenburg has variable expression.  This means
that some features may or may not be present or may be partly present in
any given individual, so a gorgeous and fully hearing parent may have
completely deaf young and visa versa.  With you seeing so many individuals
who had shortened lifespans with Waardenburg I am very curious if you have
encountered a mathematical anomaly or if the breeding of two W.S.  parents
together might be one of the things which can lead to reduced life-spans.
If so, then it is even more important that this discussion take place.  For
those who are interested but don't know the fancy patterns discussed in
relation to this allele can include (Remember variable expression.) dark
eyed whites, blazes, pandas, those with color-deplete eyes, those with
widely spaced eyes, etc.

So, those with ferrets that had Waardenburg PHYSICAL FEATURES and since
passed away:
1. age at death
2. other health problems noted
3. were these individuals deaf or not

Post it publicly HERE on the FML, please.  It won't resolve anything, of
course, but may help give DIRECTION if enough post regardless of what was
seen.  Learning about this could HELP FERRETS!