From:
Date:
Tue, 24 Feb 1998 19:14:35 -0800
>From:    Ferrets Unlimited Ferret Shelter <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Ferret bite inCleveland
>He is also pushing the issue of rat bites on the child.

Wouldn't it be possible to determine the size of the animal's jaw as well as
whether it was a rodent with the two large incisors or a carnivore with the
large canine teeth?  If the can count the bites they can determine more
about the teeth I would think.  We as ferret folks should get this checked.
Less animal oriented newsreporters might not understand that ferrets really
aren't rodents and that the teeth are vastly different.

Bob C, does this sound right to you?

>From:    Karen Daigneault <"[log in to unmask]"@BEALENET.COM>
>Subject: This and that
>I guess the major question I was asking here was is Galaxy-D acceptable in
>the respect that less reactions, etc.?

Well we honestly are not convinced that Fervac-D is really a problem in
regards to reactions.  bill has given hundreds of shots with not a single
hint of a reaction.  Galaxy-D is an orphan prodcut with no testing for
ferrets and the manufacturer specifically states do not use the product on
ferrets.  But it is used by some and by anecdotal evidence it seems to work
and seems to be safe.  There have been reactions in ferrets to Galaxy-D.  We
would be tempted to use it in any ferret we had that did react to Fervac-D.
It depends upon what is acceptable to you.

>From:    Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: favorite ferret moments, wondering
>One thing I can't help wondering, since folks often speak of natural LIGHT
>time, is whether DARK time might also be important for ferret health.

Hopefully those that are experimenting with natural light cycles do
understand that it is some hours of light (possibly widespectrum) and some
hours of dark.  The theory is that we are giving them too much light so the
fix is in the dark periods.

>How much dark
>time is given in shelter situations?  I don't mean semi-lit; I mean DARK.

We give the ferrets their own room with temperatures we think are healthier
and plenty of real dark.  We try to match the light and dark to the outside.

>From:    Alicia Weiland <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Behavior problem/color?
>I've realzed he is a mitt, as he has the white bib and four white
>feet..his color is white or light ceam underneath and he has blackish/dark
>gray(really looks more black though) outer coat....face is almost all cream

Okay the mitt pattern is easy.  Bit of a mutt.  More and more we are finding
what amounts to tricolors.  White, brown and black.  Sounds like though that
the brown (chocolate) is dilute so champagne (cinnamon) There is no standard
term that fits these.  Best choice is sable mitt perhaps.  Or champagne mitt.

>From:    alphachi <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Alphachi responds to zen (in order)
>I advise you to read "Statement stands. Enough distraction" again.

That would appear to mean that your point seems lost so lets not talk about
it.

Well since your post was more about us then about ferrets a reply would also
be off topic in our opinion.  There were distortions of the truth but so be
it.  These little spats annoy more people than interest people.  It is
especially annoying that some people talk from behind aliases while picking
on those out in the open.  You aren't in a FFZ.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets
http://www.zenferret.com/
mailto:[log in to unmask]